Drag questions.

F
Fishpdx
Okay so this might sound funny to you but I fish a lot , and lately I got into lingcod fishing. The problem is I fish on rocky cliff type of locations where I cannot get down to the water. And when ever I hook a fish and start pulling it up I feel like my drag is going to break so I put gloves on and pull the fish up using hands. I have a diawa lexa 300H and i think its about 20lbs of drag but the fish are mostly 6-8 pound lings and a 3 oz jighead. Should I keep the drag tight and keep reeling or use my hands which is painful? When salmon fishing I do it from bank and I just pull it up in the sand or something , never pick it up in the air.

B
Berg03
When I go fishing off the cliffs I use my cold water Okuma. Has i think a 25lb drag. I reel them up the cliff but I do it in pulls like if I were to be reeling in a fish. Pump up reel down etc. Nothing jerky and it does sometimes take a bit to get those decent lings in. Thats just me though. I sometimes will use my sturgeon rod off the cliffs because of that as well. And that drag is much higher. Hope this helps.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Use the right tools for the job

Use the right tools for the job

Carp! As long in the tooth as Iam and as many years that I have fished OFF of cliffs. I have modified a short boat sturgeon rod and cut down on the drag coefficient by replaceing the rod tip with a pulley/roller type as used on big game sea rods. I have caught 200lb sturgeon on a spinning reel (garcia 302 salt) or a super large arbor reel aka a mooching reel and let the pulleys take the load and do the work. The drag is for outgoing line not a brakeing system for hauling. I choose to rope down to a safe spot and then climb backup whenever I can. Done it many times on the salmonberry and ocean cliffs. It's never crowded where Igo. Hope this helps some. Tony

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
Danger angling

Danger angling

You people are true anglers, nothing short of death will stop you. Cliffs, sneakers waves not to mention tides... Hats OFF to all of you out there...
I am at the point in life of keeping my old man self in a boat, the worst that can happen is exploding into flames; what you anglers do is Awesome !:thumb:

Chuck

F
Fishpdx
I got swept away once, sneaker waves are dangerous, the swell was about 4 feet and I decided to find a spot near water, the whole day that place was dry the water didn't even reach it during high tide, but like 3 hours since outgoing tide started came a big sneaker wave and swept me off, luckily there was a boat nearby and saw me get washed off and rescued me. the hardest part was staying afloat with a rod in your hand and a backpack on your back, also with all these clothes. Because when you fall in the water the only thing you think about is get your rod to safety.

Troutski
Troutski
Indeed...

Indeed...

Carp said:
I got swept away once, sneaker waves are dangerous, the swell was about 4 feet and I decided to find a spot near water, the whole day that place was dry the water didn't even reach it during high tide, but like 3 hours since outgoing tide started came a big sneaker wave and swept me off, luckily there was a boat nearby and saw me get washed off and rescued me. the hardest part was staying afloat with a rod in your hand and a backpack on your back, also with all these clothes. Because when you fall in the water the only thing you think about is get your rod to safety.

I know exactly what you mean...;)

Chuck

D
DonF
Fishpdx said:
Okay so this might sound funny to you but I fish a lot , and lately I got into lingcod fishing. The problem is I fish on rocky cliff type of locations where I cannot get down to the water. And when ever I hook a fish and start pulling it up I feel like my drag is going to break so I put gloves on and pull the fish up using hands. I have a diawa lexa 300H and i think its about 20lbs of drag but the fish are mostly 6-8 pound lings and a 3 oz jighead. Should I keep the drag tight and keep reeling or use my hands which is painful? When salmon fishing I do it from bank and I just pull it up in the sand or something , never pick it up in the air.
Well I haven't fished like that much but know what I'd do. You seem to know about the weight range of the fish, go to heavier main line and leader about twice the strength of the average fish you catch. Then if a casting reel use your thumb to hold the spool while lifting the fish. On a spinning reel use your fore finger to hold the spool. Forgot to mention, drag should be set about 50% under breaking point of the leader, assuming of course, your leader is lighter than the main line! That's what I've read on it and it seem's to work.