Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

S
sapo
Yeah, I was told by someone a few days ago (they got limit on power eggs) that power bait was worse than power eggs. Picked up some last night, we'll see how they work! I'll be fishing Progress after they stock it (completely dead now), I'll give a report how that goes!

troutdude
troutdude
You'll like them MUCH better, than the bait. Good luck!

H
handmethewrench
Troutier Bassier said:
I caught like 8 trout today on the same 2 powereggs.. Great stuff.

me too! I got about 12 and only had to change eggs once, nuts!

troutdude
troutdude
I wasn't kidding, they really are a better choice! You're catch rate will go up (because trout nip the "bait" version off of your hook, with one nibble). Plus, you will buy LESS of the Power Eggs; making it less expensive than continually buying Power Bait.

Thanks for chiming in; and congrats!

S
sunsalem
Can anyone tell me how long powerbait & powereggs will stay good?
I have some lying around my tackle box for years....

troutdude
troutdude
I always soak my Power EGGS good--even new ones--with a scent mixture. My mix includes Berkley's Trout Scent, some Anise oil, some Shrimp oil, some Salmon Roe oil, and some Garlic scent (oil). IDK if this works, or not, with Power Bait. It might do the trick with bait, if you can work the oil mixture into it.

T
troutmasta
sunsalem said:
Can anyone tell me how long powerbait & powereggs will stay good?
I have some lying around my tackle box for years....

Years.

S
sunsalem
troutdude said:
I always soak my Power EGGS good--even new ones--with a scent mixture. My mix includes Berkley's Trout Scent, some Anise oil, some Shrimp oil, some Salmon Roe oil, and some Garlic scent (oil). IDK if this works, or not, with Power Bait. It might do the trick with bait, if you can work the oil mixture into it.
Wow, that is quite an amazing, customized concoction.
Maybe you should market it....;)

troutmasta said:
I have heard that before, but there is a little voice in the back of my head telling FRESH might be better...:disturbed:

troutdude
troutdude
sunsalem said:
Wow, that is quite an amazing, customized concoction.
Maybe you should market it....;)

Ha ha! Maybe so...

C
Camaro
Thanks for creating this thread TD. I just got back into fishing last year with my kids mainly for cats ( because that's all I could remember how to fish ). Wanted to get into some trout and found this thread. Hit up Fishermans last night and bought everything you recommended. Will report back after the weekend, thanks again!!

troutdude
troutdude
Glad to see you find this thread. Hope you do well. Awaiting your report.

Tight lines,

TD

C
Camaro
Well, this weekend was a bust. But I don't think is was the eggs, I went to Bethany/Common lake(s) because they were close. Lots of people fishing and lots of people not catching anything. Was at Bethany for 3 hours and Common for about another 3, did not see one fish pulled in. Going to try again at Hagg this weekend, see if I get some better luck.

N
navanafti
Since I found this, I have yet to see power eggs in stores. Anywhere in particular I should look?

M
montym
I get mine from Dicks. Hear that people get them from Bi Mart as well. Don't see them in Walmart.

J
JTLunker
The only place that I found them is Walmart.

troutdude
troutdude
Every sporting goods store / department carries them, in my area (Corvallis, Albany, Lebanon, Sweet Home, Newport, Salem, Eugene).

T
troutmasta
troutdude said:
Every sporting goods store / department carries them, in my area (Corvallis, Albany, Lebanon, Sweet Home, Newport, Salem, Eugene).

Emphasis on EVERY.

H
HereFishy
Cabellas has literally oodles of colors. I always stock up when I'm there.

R
redneckpunk
Great thread with some great info. Thought I would share what I have been using more than anything the last 12 months and has been growing in popularity down here in Calif. Ive been fishing dough baits since I was a kid and Zeke was a hot commodity. And I have spent many years with gooped up hands from rolling my Power Bait before finding Power Eggs. But last year I was fishing a new to me lake and someone suggested I give Power Bait Mice Tails a try. Needless to say, Ive been sold since. While I do still have eggs and even dough in my gear, its in the bottom of the tackle box and only comes out when these arent working. They have all the great attributes of the eggs with a bit of extra buoyancy and the free floating tail. I fish them on the same rigs as the eggs but also have had great success trolling them, either by themselves behind a dodger or flashers of my favorite, hooked on a Needlefish. The color selection isn't the greatest but I like that every couple months you can find them on sale and/or on the clearance rack at WalMart. For me, the Bubblegum/white in the picture below has been the slayer.
pb%20mice%20tails_zpsijwif3kz.jpg

~RNP