Olallie?

F
frontierhistorian
What's the word from Olallie? I haven't made it up there yet this year but might go up this weekend. I guess they stocked the end of June.

F
frontierhistorian
My daughter and I caught our limit including this "trophy" hatchery fish of 17" caught on garlic salmon eggs.

• photo31557.jpg
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Awesome, and nice fish!

troutdude
troutdude
Nice one year hold-over.

That's the 3rd lake, though, that I've now seen 'bows that are infected--with Copepod parasites. Crazy!

T
Theobob
I have been at Olallie quite a bit this year (at least 8 times in July, I can't remember...). I have not seen any fish with parasites (yet).
Late in June, and early July I caught seven fish between 15 and 20 inches length, and sent back probably twenty that were about 10-12 inches. The larger fish all had orange toned flesh like salmon or steelhead (yum). I have been fishing from the bank near Peninsula campground using Powerbait of assorted colors about a foot off the bottom. I am surprised how many folks are camping at Peninsula especially on the weekends. Last Thursday night the campground was all but full. The weekdays are usually much more peaceful.
Since July 12 I have only hooked smaller fish and released all but a couple lunch or dinner fish. I wonder if most of the larger fish I caught earlier were from the "Trophy" planting that took place in late June, although I noticed that the largest one (19.5 in) had some damage to the tail, and suspect it was carryover from last year. It also seems like the fishing has slowed considerably as the temperature has gone up (no big surprise there). The water on the shoreline certainly seems warm late in the afternoons, and it has steam rising before sunsise. Last week three sunrises have yielded six fish of the smaller variety. All have been biting within about an hour plus/minus of sunrise or sunset, and I have had virtually no bites outside of that time frame. IMO there is no such thing as an afternoon bite on this lake (maybe for those guys trolling the cooler depths of the main water, but not for us shore guys).
I hiked into Lower Lake last Monday and threw my line in there with no bites (worms from bottom and also from the top with bobber), but again, it was no surprise being in the heat of the afternoon and all. Thinking about fishing some of the surrounding lakes for brookies and cutthroat at dawn or dusk as the summer progresses. Olallie lake is still as beautiful as ever, and always worth the drive in.

p.s. The blue Huckleberries are ripe down the hill at about 3600 feet...

Reactions: Troutski, Admin and troutdude
U
Ultramepps
Nice info.... TY.
DP

F
frontierhistorian
I was up there around 7/20. We fished from the shore in the cove on the northwest side. There's a ledge just in front of the shore access, but then it drops off. I think a lot of the hatchery fish settled in there since it's near the boat ramp. I talked to a couple guys last year that have been fishing up there for 30 or more years and that's there preferred spot, even over fishing from a boat. We caught all legals, but the second or third catch was this trophy. I'm pretty sure it was from this year's stocking.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
frontierhistorian;n606280 said:
We caught all legals, but the second or third catch was this trophy. I'm pretty sure it was from this year's stocking.

Nice post. But if you intended to attach a pic, I don't see one.

F
frontierhistorian
Just an elaboration on my picture and post from the 21st--sorry for the ambiguity.

troutdude
troutdude
No worries buddy. Just thought you'd want to know, if an intended pic attachment failed to materialize.