Ethics vs law

Z
Zoso
Hey guys so I was at blue lake the other day and I caught a rainbow on a treble hook from a jerkbait. One part of the the hook was in the corner of the mouth and the other prong of the three in his eye. I kept him knowing he probably wouldn't survive, luckily he was 10", legal size. Bit it got me to thinking if he wasn't legal size would it be ok to keep him. Not that I would get caught by the law but would it be against the law or ethical to put something down in this situation?

C_Run
C_Run
Sometimes you have to "release" a dead fish to stay legal. It's too bad but that's the way it is. They become part of the food chain , if you want to look on the bright side.

Reactions: 95fordranger
troutdude
troutdude
:whs:

Sometimes you gotta feed, the wildlife.

P
pinstriper
So, this is a fish that was hooked both from the INSIDE of the mouth, and the outside (in this case through the eye) ?

I say legal.

If it was in the mouth but outside-in, back it goes.

Z
Zoso
Damn I didn't know the law was so strict, I guess the government needs to set standards and stick to them. What is the fine if you are caught with a fish out of the length or weight limits?

C_Run
C_Run
Zoso;n604023 said:
Damn I didn't know the law was so strict, I guess the government needs to set standards and stick to them. What is the fine if you are caught with a fish out of the length or weight limits?

Most likely hundred$. It's not worth it. Better just study the regulations carefully and follow them. Continue to ask questions as there is often confusion about wording/ exact meanings.

troutdude
troutdude
Wasn't there also a hypothetical question, about one that is undersized (and gut hooked)? All such catches--of that persuasion--must be released. Or you would also incur, a hefty fine, if kept. Those are the ones that allow me to, "feed the wildlife".

BTW, you can cut the line, close to their mouth. Leave the hook, and the few inches of line, inside of the creatures. Then release them. The metal dissolves, in 3 days. So the fish have a much greater chance, at recovery and survival. At least this is what an ODFW Biologist, once told me. And if I didn't misunderstand, his "live tutorial" (bumped into him, whilst fishing one day back when...).

Last edited:
Reactions: 95fordranger
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
C_Run;n604010 said:
Sometimes you have to "release" a dead fish to stay legal. It's too bad but that's the way it is. They become part of the food chain , if you want to look on the bright side.

I agree, follow the regs.

plumbertom
plumbertom
The idea about returning a likely dying undersized fish is that nothing in Nature is wasted.
Many small fish die before reaching "legal" size.
Your one or two fish returned to the water to die each season are not going to effect the overall population of fish.
It could however have a detrimental effect on you're fishing budget if cited.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
:whs: