Need some luck, or tips!

C
Chipmunk97
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, but I have been fishing my whole life. As I kid I used to reel in fish after fish, and loved it! It seems that I have been down on my luck lately though. I haven't caught anything in over a year! I usually run Chartreuse Garlic Powerbait on a treble hook with enough weight to sink my line. This seems to be a pretty common set up, and everyone around me seems to catch something every once in a while. If anyone has secret tips, little tricks, or good spots you are willing to share please let me know! I have been fishing more as the weather warms up, and hope to go on a few weekend expeditions here soon.

B
Bill
My first suspicion is your bait to hook ratio. To little bait,to big of hook and your just sitting on the bottom. Bait needs to float up off the bottom or else,nada! If you think this might be it, try putting a little corky on to help float your bait. Good luck

C
Chipmunk97
No Title

This is the set-up I'm using, but with split-shot sinkers instead of the bullet style.That's the only set-up I've ever learned, so maybe it's time for me to change it? As far as I can tell my hook floats fine, I get worried that any larger ball will stop the fish from trying to bite.

• photo31310.jpg
B
Bill
It's not your set up,that one in the pic is perfect. What area are you in? Where have you been fishing? Someone on here might know the waters you're fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome, to OFF.

Ditch the split shot; and switch to a sliding sinker (as shown, in the diagram). Why? Because a fish can feel the split shot--when they pick up the bait. Then, they quickly drop it. But they don't feel the weight, when using a slider, and keep biting until you hook 'em.

Also get rid of, IMO, the Power Bait. Switch to a single bait, or egg, hook. Then use Power Eggs instead.

And I always start out with, 3 - 4' of leader. Some swear by shorter leaders. But I've always had greater success, with longer ones. If you get no bites with any type of set up; then change. Go longer, or go shorter, until you find the proper depth.

Experience has also shown me, to carry multiple colors of bait. Sometimes the fish will key in, on only one color. And if you don't have it that day; you'll get skunked no matter what.

Here's a thread from way back; with more details.

Aervax
Aervax
Nice post Troutdude. Chipmunk, I was going to chime in with pretty much exactly what he said. Definitely definitely positively change to the sliding sinker rig and lose the splitshot. Your bite and hookup frequency will increase dramatically. Also, use the smallest sliding sinker you are able to get away with and still cast the distance you want it to go. That will make a minor incremental improvement as well.

Reactions: troutdude
C
Chipmunk97
I live in Albany, so my go to spots are EE Wilson and Freeway lakes. I also hit Foster if I've got whole day. I'll grab some sliding sinkers next time I'm at Sportsmans. 3-4 feet seems like a huge leader that would be difficult to cast, I'm quite short so my cast sucks anyways. Maybe I'm casting wrong too? I've got a lot to learn.

troutdude
troutdude
All based upon decades, of experience Aervax. But thank you.

I use a short as a 5' ultra light rod. No problem casting, at all, with a 4' leader. And if you have a two rod license validation, try plunking one line near shore with shorter leader (and lighter slip sinker). Use a heavier weight, and longer leader, to get out to the deep pockets, and drop OFFs...with the 2nd rod.

Golfbum
Golfbum
Troutdude always catches fish
:thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
Well not always...but thanks for your vote, of confidence. :thumb:

And it's all because of 5 decades, of experience...and other fishermen (and women) sharing their tips.

C
Chipmunk97
I don't own two rods, I fish on a tight budget unfortunately. But the general idea here seems to be to switch my weights to sliders, lose the powerbait, and lengthen my leader. I've heard trout will bite on garlicky marshmallows, any truth in that?

troutdude
troutdude
Chipmunk97;n603942 said:
I've heard trout will bite on garlicky marshmallows, any truth in that?

Truck trout (stockers & brooders), have garlic in their hatchery food pellets. So yes; maybe. But why bother, when Power Eggs work way better (and stay on your hook, allowing you to catch multple fish)?

L
Lerwickj
At EE Wilson I've always had really good luck with balls o fire gold label (there're covered in glitter) dipped in corn scent under a bobber. Have to play with the depth tell you start getting bit.

C
Chipmunk97
Thanks for all the tips! Payday today means I'll sneak a few more fishing items into my collection, and will probably hit E.E. Wilson for a minute tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how I turn out with a better tuned set-up. If you see the girl in blue cowboy boots falling in the mud give me a wave! :D

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Chipmunk, you will NOT want to use the rig w/ a weight at EE Wilson. That place is super weedy; so you will have a lot of hookups. But not, with fish.

Use a bobber instead, along with a worm on the hook--or Power Eggs. If you use Power Eggs, with a bobber; be sure to add a split shot or two to keep the eggs below the bobber. Otherwise, they will float to the surface (and not likely catch any fish).

Best of luck, to ya. Lookin' forward, to your report and pics.

C
Chipmunk97
No Title

I mucked through the rain to EE Wilson today and stood in the downpour, losing worm after worm to little guys. I seem to have trouble setting my hook. But I eventually hooked one! Because he was so small and lip hooked I just released. I had many many bites but couldn't seem to land anything else before I got called into work. I will continue with the bobber/worm combo tomorrow and see what luck I have.

troutdude
troutdude
No Title

Good for you. One is better, than none. Try reeling in slowly. And be sure not to leave much of the worm, trailing behind the hook. That should greatly reduce, the short strikes--and increase your catch ratio.

If you can buy any lures, toss and retrieve Thomas Buoyants and / or Kastmasters and / or Rooster Tails. My fave Rooster Tail, is the Fire Tiger finish. It's landed literally hundreds, of hungry 'bows.

C
Chipmunk97
I believe I have one or two similar to that style, I also keep an eye on the clearance bin at SW. Thank you guys for all the tips, it's much better than trying to figure it out myself!

Reactions: troutdude
L
Lerwickj
You can buy tackle way cheaper at bi mart than SW

Z
Zoso
Spinners and spoons are the way to go, much more fun way to fish too!

Reactions: Chipmunk97