Lake Harriet fishing rules?

F
frontierhistorian
Can someone confirm fishing rules for Lake Harriet? I read somewhere that there was no limit on Brook and Brown trout in the lake, but somewhere else that the unlimited rule only applies to the stream above the lake. This year's fishing regulations don't seem to have a definitive answer.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

Right from the reg book online:

Oak Grove Fork and tributaries between markers at upper end of Harriet Lake and Timothy Lake Dam
• No limit on the number or size of brook or brown trout taken.
• 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.

Opens on May 22nd.

Also:

A valid Columbia River Basin Endorsement must be in possession when fishing for salmon, steelhead, or sturgeon in the mainstem Columbia River from Buoy 10 upstream and in all the rivers and their tributaries that flow into the Columbia River.

Since Lake Harriet has no "exceptions" listed; to zone regs...then General Statewide Regulations apply. And the Willamette Zone regs per below:

Lakes: 5 per day, 2 daily limits in possession.
Streams: catchand-release only, except as noted under Exceptions.
•Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See Exceptions where use of bait is allowed.
• 8 inch minimum length.
•Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
•Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
•Closed to angling for bull trout.
•No limit on size or number of brook or brown trout in streams unless noted under Exceptions.
•Kokanee included in trout limits except as noted under Exceptions.
Lakes: Open all year.
Streams: Open May 22 - Oct 31 unless noted under Exceptions.

However I do believe that Lake Harriet, has a closed season (not open year around). But I can't seem to find, the opening date.

troutdude
troutdude
Perhaps a call, to this Ranger station, would get you an answer about the season opener?

Clackamas River Ranger District - Estacada Ranger Station
Telephone: 503.630.6861

595 NW Industrial Way
Estacada, OR 97023
Current Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:45am - 4:30pm
Closed 11:30 am - 12:30 pm (lunch)

F
frontierhistorian
Thanks! Yes, I wouldn't have been confused except that some other source I read (I don't think it was official) said no limit on brook or brown in Lake Harriet. I suspect this was a misreading or misrepresentation of the rules, so I thought I'd check.

RE opening day for Lake Harriet, they are stocking this week, so I was guessing they are or will be open after the stocking, but I wanted to find that out as well.

So even if I'm not fishing for steelhead, do I need the Columbia Basin endorsement if I'm fishing in Columbia watershed since the steelhead (rainbows of 20" or larger) don't discriminate trout from salmon/steelhead fisherman? I've only fished lakes so far, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

troutdude
troutdude
As I understand the reg...you must carry a Columbia Basin Endorsement, if you fish any & all streams / tribs that feed into the Columbia.

This weekend, is a "free fishing" weekend. So MAYBE Lake Harriet is open. Maybe. I'd suggest calling that phone number, and ask the rangers. Or call ODFW, in Clackamas.

troutdude
troutdude
I just spoke with ODFW, in Clackamas. Lake Harriet, according to her, is open year round. However, she also said that the road is closed. Apparently due to a windfall tree. But there are 2 roads, into there. One is all gravel, and the other is paved (with a switchback to Harriet, that is gravel). So take it, for what it's worth...

Last edited:
F
frontierhistorian
Ah, I called today, too, but they didn't tell me that! They did tell me it is getting stocked mid-day tomorrow. I'll call the forest service tomorrow to check on the road. As of April 1, it was open (NF 4630): https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthoo...telprdb5191108, but you never know when a tree's gonna fall . . .

troutdude
troutdude
It's all in who ya know...well, not really. LOL I spoke with the receptionist, who was relaying with someone else within her earshot. I'd doubt that BOTH roads, are blocked.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

P.S. Those fish will hold tight to the boat ramp, at first. Before they begin, to fan out. And there are sculpins, in there. So eventually, they will Muddler Minnows.

U
Ultramepps
Lake Harriet fun today.. Before the stockers arrive. 2pm to 330pm a nice hatch. Lots of activity. Used a size 18 black emerger on a fast strip/pull. Caught a big native rainbow also. The rainbows fight way harder. Broke off a leader and my drag was not set right lost a couple... :D

• b8650f977f63a75a7ee0b00086fa89e3.jpg
  • ad62635454fefabbe959f27d8f1b24ef.jpg
  • 36236de851b1721149474d350b762a2b.jpg
  • 4e1637d2400188da597f89f8be00f09c.jpg
F
frontierhistorian
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I'll report back. I'll be working with spinning gear--powerbait and lures.

U
Ultramepps
Ok. Another trip to this beautiful lake....... The natives are getting restless as the weather gets better... :)

M
Midgie Hater
Nice fish :) Which way did you drive in? Is the road still closed?

Also, does anyone know Harriet's maximum depth? Can't find anything online. I imagine fairly deep at the western end. Just curious as I was planning to take my inflatable on it, but being a nervous and relatively inexperienced boater I like to know how much depth I've got to deal with.

Another thing occurs to me: I assume people camp in the area when the campsite's closed (as it is until the end of May). Are there some preferred (and maybe discreet) spots to pitch?

troutdude
troutdude
We put a boat in, two years ago. A 14 footer, I think. The ramp is unimproved, and not easy. But we got in, and out. If, however, you are inexperienced...you might want to look it over first.

Most of the lake is very shallow. There's some fairly deep water, where Oak Grove flows in, and in front of the campground area. Maybe 80' deep, close to the dam, at max.

U
Ultramepps
You can go both ways. I try to go the paved rout 57. Still some slides but no problem getting through. I saw vehicles with boats get through. The camp ground is maintained pick a site away from others should have no problem. With weather getting better going to be busy.