Swivels or no swivel

U
Utahutes
New to using spinners and lures. I always fly fished or bait for trout. Want to get into using lures. Do most of you use a duolock and a bout 18 inches of leader with a swivels. I have heard use a split ring with a swivels connected to split ring with 18 inches leader.also heard 18 inches leader with duolock also swivels leader and just a loop knot tied to lure or spinner.does it really matter were you use a swivels up the line with a leader or swivels attached to your lure or spinner?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If I am trout fishing I just use a barrel snap swivel to attach directly to my lure. That way I can quickly change out the lure if I want to. If I am out of snap swivels, heaven forbid but it happens, then I will tie a barrel swivel about 12"-16" up my main line. You can fish without a swivel, especially if you are throwing hardware like a spoon or a Tasmanian devil, but a general spinner will kink up your line to much without a swivel.

P
pinstriper
If trolling a spinner, I not only use swivels, but bead chains to avoid twist as TK mentions.

Otherwise, yeah I'll generally use a snap swivel so I can change between colors, or switch to a spoon. If I'm lazy or just throwing a spinner while keeping my hands OFF the other rod, I may just tie directly to the eye and be done with. It has no real effect - you aren't going to get much twist or kinks just by casting 60' and retrieving.

You could also just tie a snap (no swivel) to keep things light and still be able to change out easily.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I use a barrel swivel with an interlock snap. My thought is the round vs angled connection on a snap swivel lets the lure move more freely, especially with a spoon.

Reactions: pinstriper and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Hooked Up;n603109 said:
I use a barrel swivel with an interlock snap. My thought is the round vs angled connection on a snap swivel lets the lure move more freely, especially with a spoon.

GREAT tip right there.

P
pinstriper
Hooked Up said:

Yes, the round snaps not the angled 'uns is the way to go.

hobster
hobster
Hooked Up;n603109 said:

Personally, I don't think it matters too much with a spinner. I use a normal snap swivel (the good ones) for spinners and tie directly to my main line. The way spinners are designed there is always space under the eye for the spinner to move around and create good action.
Spoons on the other hand are a different story. I ALWAYS use barrel swivel and attach it to a split ring which attaches to the spoon, gives it plenty of room to flow and do its thing. Round snaps are a great option also. Good advice there for sure!

As for the 18 inch leader, I know people who use a swivel at the spoon/spinner and another where the leader meets mainline. Don't think it's necessary but you should have at least one in either place to avoid line twist. I have tied directly to my line before because I didn't have a swivel, and the spinner twisted around 20 times after I took it out of the water, so i'd have to wait before the next cast. This was in a river, not sure if that makes a difference.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I always you a snap swivel at the spinner does not seem to change the catch ratio at all.