Hagg Lake preseason opener

Z
Zoso
So I finally made it out to hagg for the first time last week. I mainly fished the north and west sides of the lake. I saw nothing by the very north end, I was on the little island thing. Stayed for 2 hours over there and nothing. Spinner, jigs, power eggs, pink worms, green and red worms, nothing worked. Went to the main dock next, got a few bites but never catching anything. Last I went to the last little inlet before the dam on the west side and not much over there as well. I was switching my set up all day and nothing really worked. So in the end I got skunked for the day. It was a nice trip to learn the lake. I picked a few things up including power dough and am going to go back out this week to fish the east side. Any advice for this trip out, and for the next few weeks until they stock more/ season opens?

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Uh...if the season wasn't open, you would've been fishing illegally. But, you were legally fishing--because Hagg is now open year-round. So there really is no longer, a "season opener".

Sorry to see you, get skunked. IMO, it sounds like you were fishing deeper water. Next time out, try bobbers w/ bait of some sort. Also try lighter spinners and/or spoons (Thomas Buoyants, are a good choice). These techniques will help you fish, the upper water column.

Good luck.

Z
Zoso
Sorry I meant season opener time for Oregon. I know they are stocking right before the state wide opener and there should be a bunch of fish there then. But I'm sure there is still a good amount of fish in the lake from last year too. I was fishing very close to land in shallow water. I'm going to try the large inlet on the east side that is directly across from the main dock this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated

troutdude
troutdude
No worries. LOL

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, by "east side...across from main dock". There are docks at Ramp A on the east; and at Ramp C on the west side. If you mean across from Ramp A--on the west side, and south of Ramp C--that would be Sain Creek. That is a great spot. You might try really long leaders, and Power Eggs, OFF of the bottom (3 - 4' of leader).

Here's an archived thread; so you can get a feel for how Power Eggs are used.

Z
Zoso
I was planning on parking at orchard ridge and hiking down to that peninsula and fishing that bay area

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry Zoso; not sure where that is either. But here is a link, to a map. And I misspelled Seiene Creek. Although I've seen it spelled, different ways.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, there a few large trout in there. So I'd recommend no less than 4lb. mono test, for leader. I typically use 8lb. main, and 6lb. leader. I also opted years ago; to use 7' medium hollow glass rods--with fast action tip. Sensitive enough, to feel a light tap. Heavy enough, to bring in a toad. And still fun to use!

But I've landed 17" hold-overs, with much lighter gear too. All of that is subjective. Just what I have found, to be best. Just head out there, when you can, and use whatever gear you have. Can't get nuttin' otherwise. LOL

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
NICE map! I have not fished, at that spot. But there are trout, all around that lake. Good luck!

Z
Zoso
I'll let you guys know how it goes!

hobster
hobster
zoso-logo.jpg

Zoso...............................Jimmy Page I assume?

Z
Zoso
Nailed it!!! Best guitar slayer ever!! Hopefully like I do at hagg tomorrow!! I need a nice fish dinner!

Z
Zoso
Skunked again at hagg. Had some bites at sain creek. Ramp c was a ghost town. Otherwise of the lake was the same. I should have stayed at sain. Oh well better luck next time. I don't think I will be able to make it out there again until they stick again at the end of feb so I should have a better shot then.

troutdude
troutdude
Well at least you've stayed "sane".

P.S. Told you that, there are multiple spellings.

troutdude
troutdude
:lol:

Z
Zoso
Where do you usually fish troutdude? Lakes or rivers?

troutdude
troutdude
Almost exclusively lakes anymore. Not able to get around, like I used too. Hagg is a fave!

I also really like Olalla Res. near Toledo; and Big Creek #2 near Newport. Can hit both, easily, in a day. And I typically C & R; so I can fish as long as I want each time out.

Reactions: Aervax
Z
Zoso
I'll have to check them out, they are 2.5 hours away from me so I'll have to wait for a good time to go!

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah; there are lakes a lot closer to you. Head up to Timothy and/or Lake Harriet. Not sure if Timothy is open now; but definitely know that Harriet is closed for now. Both are on the upper Clackamas drainage basin.