Trout fishing small stream

G
gfisher2003
theres a small stream i saw some trout in during the summer (cutthroat or rainbow not sure which) wondering how i should go about fishing for them especcialy since because of recent rains its muddy and pretty fast flowing although i know where some eddies are right where a couple of deep pools are not sure what bait to use or how i should fish it thanks

troutdude
troutdude
Think larger, flashier, smellier baits and / or lures. If bait is allowed; try drifting worms OFF the bottom. Spread some splitshot out, and along, your line to get the bait down. Add some scent, thread a marshmellow--or Berkley's Power Eggs, on first. Then a worm...if worms along, don't get any action. Also try Berkley Mice Tails. The wiggle, drives 'em nuts. Also try small brown Rooster Tails, for the cutties. They munch on small brown crawdads.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
not a bad idea to double check the regulations for fishing in it to confirm it is open and the details for trout...cheers, roger

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger;n599280 said:
not a bad idea to double check the regulations for fishing in it to confirm it is open and the details for trout...cheers, roger

^^^ This. It may not be open to fishing and if so a lot of streams are fly and lure only.

G
gfisher2003
its not actually mentioned on the fishing regulations but it flows into the willamette above the dam so should i just consider it part of the willamette which is allowed to use bait or normal regulations without exceptions and only use lure or fly

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
gfisher2003;n599293 said:
its not actually mentioned on the fishing regulations but it flows into the willamette above the dam so should i just consider it part of the willamette which is allowed to use bait or normal regulations without exceptions and only use lure or fly

so if the stream is not listed under 'Exceptions', it depends where the tributary comes into the Willamette above the falls:

Willamette River:

-Willamette Falls upstream to Hwy 20 Bridge in Albany: no mention of tributaries, so Willamette Zone Trout Regs apply in them: Open May 22 – Oct 31, no bait, C&R only (except brook or brown trout).

-Hwy 20 Bridge upstream to Hwy 99 Bridge: no mention of tributaries, so Willamette Zone Regs apply in them: Open May 22 – Oct 31, no bait, C&R only (except brook or brown trout).

-Hwy 99 bridge located at Harrisburg upstream to McKenzie River mouth and tributaries: only change is that Trout are open all year in tributaries, still C&R and no bait.

Above the mouth of the McKenzie River: things get more complicated...

cheers, roger

Reactions: troutdude