Parasites ?

P
playhooky
Thought I'd give Detroit a go for a troll today. Managed a few rainbows and a juvenile chinook. Most of the bows had these funky looking spots, sores, parasites....?? Anybody have experience with this? We were releasing the fish but wonder if they would be safe to eat. Curious. cbf45d7c42910f14acc245aa0f7e5bad.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
That lake was choked out, again, last summer by a nasty algae. Personally, I would eat no infected fish. But Roger, and others, may have better intel. rogerdodger

Last edited:
M
Masin
The trout in Hagg lake have had the same issue the last number of years

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
looks like 'yuck' to me.

because when looking at that fish, I think most people would say 'yuck'....

Last edited:
Fernhopper
Fernhopper
I caught a whole mess of Kokanee and a few rainbows with something similar to this in a lake in Washington. The info board had a notice about an outbreak of gill lice. The gills were infested, but the fish had "sores" just like those. I wonder if they're linked? Did you happen to check the gills?

P
playhooky
Fernhopper said:
Did you happen to check the gills?

I didn't notice anything strange or unusual about the gills. Just the "Goopy" little clusters on the bodies....some spots with sores or lesions. Nasty looking stuff whatever it is!

portlandrain
portlandrain
I caught a bunch of trout at Timothy lake in mid July with that same thing.... 

J
~JM~
It's transferable to human flesh. :yikes: :D

U
upstate88
While it may be ugly to look at there is no risk to people. It is a warm water copepod (more of a bug, not like a worm) and I have found them on fish in most the lakes in the Mt Hood National Forest (varying degree of infestation). My cleaning process works like this; gut, rinse, one pass on scaling, rinse, pass on scaling, rinse, and soak in brine for 15 minutes. I have vacuum sealed and frozen all my fish this year, whatever ones do not come off in the cleaning process fall right off after you thaw and rinse. The hard truth is we are going to see more and more of this kind of thing as waters warm up, and people move from one lake to another without cleaning gear. Its just like hunting take care of your meat and pay attention to what you find. It is best to check with ODFW or a local land manager (fish biologists) they know what is going on and what the risks are.

I would rather eat that fish then a cheese burger from the golden arches any day.

Here is the ODFW pdf on the critters... http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/diseases/docs/copepod.pdf

Reactions: rogerdodger