Unlucky trout fishing in Oregon

J
Jclark
Anyone have any tips for trout fishing the North Santiam or the Deschutes for trout? I have been trying lures like crazy and haven't had any luck. Been trying power bait and eggs on the Santiam too.

B
bubs
1) Are you sure there are active trout in the areas you've fished (i.e.are you seeing them feed?)? If not, consider trying other areas.

2) Assuming you are fishing these "lures" and bait correctly, and at appropriate locations/time of day etc., process of elimination suggests that trout may be feeding more on bugs in these areas. Making another assumption that you don't have a fly rod, I would think about trying bubble fly fishing, which you can do with your spinning rod.

Here is a video that more or less explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9BrJbALZzM

If you want to get serious with this tactic, invest in some nice clear plastic swivels, some tippet material for leaders (I recommend long leaders, like from 6 to 8' if possible) and some fly dressing like Gink. Bubble fly fishing opens up a whole new world....if interested or have more questions feel free to PM me.

S
sapo
Start fly fishing ;) That way, you can fish with imitations of what they actually eat, not nasty fluorescent balls of bait. Good luck!

T
TheBigFoote
"1) Are you sure there are active trout in the areas you've fished (i.e.are you seeing them feed?)? If not, consider trying other areas."

That was the thing I had to learn. A stretch of river or creek can look like gold and not have a single fish in it, then you can come up to a so so looking hole that is stacked full of fish. Find the fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Totally agree; on the bobber/fly with spinning rod set up! It's worked on the Deshutes, for me, below Lava Lake. It has also hammered literally hundreds, of 'bows, in lakes over the past 5 decades.

The main differences--between my rig versus the video--is I use about 4', of leader. And I use Improved Clinch knots, at every connection point. Plus I use, a Torpedo Bobber (see pic). Then I crimp on a small BB sized split shot--about 1' above a Woolly Bugger, or Teeny Nymph. The weight drops the fly, so it is just "sub surface".

Such a set up, would work well for "nymphing" in a stream. Or remove the split shot, for fishing any type of dry fly on the surface. Black and Olive Green, have been my "go to" colors in lakes..for sub surface fishing. Dries that imitate terrestrials (ants, grasshoppers, spiders, crickets); should prove most effective in streams this time of the year.

D
DrTheopolis
This time of year around here, you really need to pick your spots. The water gets warm, and warm water holds less oxygen. You need to find the parts of the stream with oxygen -- broken surface is a good start. Foam = slightly more oxygenated water.