Siletz blueback advice?

troutdude
troutdude
Are the Bluebacks running, in the Siletz yet? If so, where would there be a good shot at fish--and easily accessible-- for someone who can only walk, maybe a mile down/up and back? Not asking for anyone's honey holes. Just help, to find accessible spots.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
It's still a tad early to primarily target bluebacks, on the Siletz at least. Lots of summer steelhead in the gorge though. The Bluebacks typically run late summer through early fall when the blackberries are in full force. I'm 100% sure there's a few in the Siletz right now but probably few and far between. You're best bet is to start lower (town of Siletz holes and holes along hwy 229) but it wouldn't hurt to drive up the gorge on a weekend and toss a line. I grew up in Siletz and have spent more days on this river than any other body of water; my suggestions would be Panther Martin Spinners, Worms, Crawdad tails, Borden Special flies, and other small spinner varieties. I can PM you my phone number if need be

-Siletz Trout Killer

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you STK. Long time; no hear. Hope all is well.

I'll give your suggestions, a try. I have some Bordens and Panthers, and can get some worms. A former neighbor also used to do well-on the Alsea--with brown Rooster Tails (to mimick crawdad youngin's). I have some of those too.

Tight lines my friend.

C_Run
C_Run
I went with a friend to a couple of Tillamook County rivers this week and scratched out a few in the tidal areas. It was not red hot but that's where we found some. Spinners, spoons, and small plugs worked.

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you CRun.

BTW STK...do you mean Hwy. 22, and not 229? I don't see 229, on the map.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
No I mean hwy 229. It's the highway that runs from Toledo through the town of Siletz, then to the Siletz River tide water. If you've ever driven to Siletz from Hwy 20 at Toledo it's the highway you traveled.

Reactions: troutdude
SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
"Oregon route 229 is an Oregon state highway that runs along the lower reaches of the Siletz River, on the central Oregon coast. The highway is also known as the Siletz highway no. 181" - Google

PS. Things have been good! Haven't done any hard fishing in about a year believe it or not. Been working a lot and on my off time scouting and prepping for hunting season. I've got three tags to fill and I'm guiding three hunts too.

troutdude
troutdude
OK. Got it. Thank you. Good luck, on your hunting expeditions.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Good luck on some Bluebacks!

Reactions: troutdude