Trout on senkos?

M
mustardthetrout
I was fishing Commonwealth Lake for bass today and I caught a 14.5'' trout on a three inch senko. Does this happen a lot with people and could you actually target trout with senkos and other plastic worms or did I just get a crazy fish?

B
Big3d
Thats a pretty sweet trout for that tiny pond. As for the senko aspect, trout like worms, all it took was one swcond of that trout believing it was a worm and bam, you're hooked up.

B
Berg03
I have done it before, but i wouldnt say its effective enough to target them with senkos. But its super fun to have a surprise on the end of the line.

B
bubs
I would say most bass plastics are bigger than 3" and if trout hit them (which has never happened to me & I'm guessing it's rare in most places) it's more of an aggression thing like "get out of my territory weird creature!"

Whereas smaller plastics like powerbait trout worms are becoming really popular so all this would suggest that there's no reason that a trout won't hit plastic if it's small & jiggly enough...

M
mctholm
Went trout fishing last weekend and my son had a pole rigged up with a 3 inch plastic swim bait from our last bass fishing trip, I told him to throw it out there and see if they liked it. Like it was an understatement, he caught so many they actually ended up tearing the swim bait to pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
EOBOY
EOBOY
mustardthetrout said:
I was fishing Commonwealth Lake for bass today and I caught a 14.5'' trout on a three inch senko. Does this happen a lot with people and could you actually target trout with senkos and other plastic worms or did I just get a crazy fish?

Yup!

portlandrain
portlandrain
mctholm said:
Went trout fishing last weekend and my son had a pole rigged up with a 3 inch plastic swim bait from our last bass fishing trip, I told him to throw it out there and see if they liked it. Like it was an understatement, he caught so many they actually ended up tearing the swim bait to pieces.

Super cool. Nice catch!

M
mustardthetrout
Update: I went again to the same lake today and caught one on a piece of white bread under a bobber. I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with these trout lol

M
Masin
It's commonwealth. They know that they're going to die soon when the water warms up. Last meal

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
mustardthetrout said:
Update: I went again to the same lake today and caught one on a piece of white bread under a bobber. I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with these trout lol

I've caught a bunch of trout while bass fishing, they regularly hit soft plastics, crank baits, and sometimes spinnerbaits.

And when I was fishing commonwealth and bethany a lot, using bread for bait - the trout would eat that too.