Best sturgeon pole and reel?

S
Specialed
What is the best sturgeon pole and reel? Rod length, reel type, and the best line # test? I am going to get a new set up but want some advice from all you pros on what is the best set up before I start shopping. Thanks for taking the time in sharing your knowledge. It is most appreciated, SpecialEd

Solution
bass
Fishing for sturgeon out of a kayak is a lot of fun. If you have a heavy duty salmon rod and reel that will work just fine. I often use my Okuma X-HVY, Mag taper 8'6" 20-50lb 1-6oz rod with a Shimano Cardiff on it. That works great for 4oz and below and is OK but less fun with 6oz. My favorite outfit is a Daiwa Saltist 40a mounted on a Lamiglas BFC70H. I also have a Medium action Tiger Stik with a Penn 320. I have caught a bunch of oversized out of my kayak with each of those rods. The Lamiglas is by far my favorite. It is very sensitive and yet really strong. If I was on a budget I would go with a Tiger Stik and Penn 320 combo.

As an FYI, I got the Lamiglas at Dick's in Hillsboro for $129.97 this past December. They still had two left...
B
Billamicasr
So... I do a Google search for the best sturgeon fishing rod and I'm lead right back to OFF. Looks like the last post was five years ago; I doubt the information is outdated. Thanks OFF and posters, you've made my day to get so much info, so easily. I've fished sturgeon once in SF Bay and came back empty handed. I want to do it again, this time from a kayak; that should be a fun ride; providing I can find a willing or suicidal sturgeon.

Just in case there happens to be another reel (under $100.00) that would be sufficient let me know. Looks like I'll check the local Bi-Mart to see what they may have in the way of a combo outfit.

bass
bass
Fishing for sturgeon out of a kayak is a lot of fun. If you have a heavy duty salmon rod and reel that will work just fine. I often use my Okuma X-HVY, Mag taper 8'6" 20-50lb 1-6oz rod with a Shimano Cardiff on it. That works great for 4oz and below and is OK but less fun with 6oz. My favorite outfit is a Daiwa Saltist 40a mounted on a Lamiglas BFC70H. I also have a Medium action Tiger Stik with a Penn 320. I have caught a bunch of oversized out of my kayak with each of those rods. The Lamiglas is by far my favorite. It is very sensitive and yet really strong. If I was on a budget I would go with a Tiger Stik and Penn 320 combo.

As an FYI, I got the Lamiglas at Dick's in Hillsboro for $129.97 this past December. They still had two left at the time, not sure if they are still there or not. I also had scored my Tiger Stik/Pen 320 combo at Dicks back in winter of 2011 for $99.99. It was cheaper than I could even find just the reel anywhere else (the reel at Dick's cost 109.99 at the time). They have not had those combos in quite a while. I guess my advice though is to look around carefully for a sale before buying something. Especially if you have a salmon outfit that would work for you.

Best of luck!

Solution
B
Billamicasr
Thanks bass I appreciate the reply with brands and item numbers.
I've written them down for future use. I think in the next few weeks may be a good time to hit the big retailers for sales as the season starts.
I'll see what I can find.

Bill

bass
bass
You're welcome. Also remember, you do not need to spend a lot of money on tackle to fish for sturgeon. I have spent more than I needed to on my tackle :)

B
Billamicasr
Funny you mention that... I have way too much "stuff" that is either still new or very unused that I bought on the chance I may or will use it... lots of that stuff is now for sale in my Online Garage sale. In my old guy wisdom I've now decided to keep it logical; after looking at some of the items online you and others mentioned I may have come upon a solution. In the garage sale is a Newell 229F in perfect condition. It doesn't have a level winder, but has landed a bunch of hard charging Stripers from the beaches of Pacifica, CA. Also for sale is a Daiwa BG 90 spinning reel; it weighs a ton and is very sturdy. My thoughts now are to keep one or both and find a soft tip, good backbone Tiger Stick (if they make one) that will be the right one for either reel. That would be just the right amount to spend.

Yep, you got me thinking... thanks again.

bass
bass
I would use the Newell (pulling a bunch of weight with a spinning reel is too much work) and get a medium action 7' tiger stik. The medium action is perfect, the tip is soft and it has a ton of backbone. The only thing I like better about my Lamiglas is that the Lamiglas has a smoother bend under a load. The Tiger stik progresses from a soft tip to a stiff section closer to the tip. The only downside to that is that the fish get better leverage on you when you are fighting them. That said, I have caught multiple fish in the 8' range on the tiger stik so that is a pretty mild criticism.

B
Billamicasr
Today allowed me to get part of the project completed. I pulled the Newell from the "For Sale" list and loaded itwith about 20 yards of 30#test Maxima and finished it off with a good amount of a full 500 yard spool of 50# test Power Pro. I haven't had the chance to search out a rod quite yet and will likely put it off for a few days. just too busy with other stuff.

C
cdumitru78
What rod would you guys recommend for a 321GTI if I want to cast from the bank? Is it even feasible to try to cast out there with the 321GTI or should I get a different set up all together?

You guys will laugh, I went to Gilbert River and caught quite a few shakers with basically a steelhead rod/reel, it worked, it was fun, but a pain. I have an Ugly Stick and the 321GTI that I use while fishing from the boat, so looking for something that works from the bank, I don't think I will get too far with that short Ugly Stick.

D
Dastanli
I know this is an old post but I just got into sturgeon fishing about a month ago. My buddy had a couple sturgeon setups that he let me use but he is right handed so it was awkward using a right hand reel. I went out and bought a 9' ugly stik elite extra heavy salmon rod rated a at 14-50lb line weight and a left hand penn squall 20 because I could also use it for salmon fishing. So far I been able to pull up sturgeon from a boat no problem. My largest fish was just shy of 8ft long and never had a problem with him lighting up my spool. I'd say it took me about 15min to get him next to the boat. But for bank fishing do you guys think that rod will be about to pull in oversized sturgeon? I have 300 yards of 65lb pp on my reel. I heard a few stories of some guys being spooled out while sturgeon fishing and I'd hate the thought of 300 yards of line adding to all the lost tackle in the rivers. Trying to do my best to protect the waters for future generations.

D
dcarbonari
I only bank fish cause well... I'm a broke college student that can't afford a boat. I use an Ugly Stik Tiger and a Penn Fierce 6000 and I've gotten multiple over 6ft and still had a least 100 yds of line on the spool after the big runs. I've only been spooled once but I put a section of slightly lighter braid above my dacron leader in case of this happening, not only so there isn't a fish with 330yds of line attached to it but also because braid is expensive. This hasn't failed me yet. The one time I got spooled it snapped at the section of 50lb braid and not mainline. Good luck, all my big ones have come from West Linn.

D
Dastanli
Nice, thanks for the info. I use the Brad's hand tied leaders. 80lb line weight 7/0 hook size. I wonder how hard it would be for a +10ft sturgeon to snap 65# braid. I'd hate to thumb the spool to slow down an oversize just to have the line snap. Was thinking of going up to 80lb braid because of how shockingly large that near 8ft sturgeon was. Will try West Linn in Sept when it opens back up for C&R.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Specialed said:
What is the best sturgeon pole and reel? Rod length, reel type, and the best line # test? I am going to get a new set up but want some advice from all you pros on what is the best set up before I start shopping. Thanks for taking the time in sharing your knowledge. It is most appreciated, SpecialEd
Daiwa Lexa-HD (heavy duty) size 400 loaded with 80lb braid. Rod is Daiwa Harrier X 7’ Medium. Setup was originally for big Lings and Rockfish but works amazing for Sturgeon as well. Will be getting the new Sturgeon rod by Lamiglas (coming out 2020-2021)