The wall in OC

J
juggernaut506
They should at least have a PVC chute you can slide the fish down to ensure they hit the water right. It doesn't solve the damage caused by pulling them up by a noose but it's something better then throwing them off the wall.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
i fpound this link, hope I post it right... sorry if it is wrong.
Sturgeon fishing tactics in Oregon City challenged | Bill Monroe - – OregonLive.com

G
Growbug
arghhh... i have driven past this place hundred times and pulled over once to watch. Someone was using the noose technique to pull up a whopper. He took ages getting it up the wall, no idea how long it bounced off the rocks. When he got it up, he said 'Too big', unhooked it and let it fall... I walked away!

Thinking mechanically though.. wouldnt a nice 4ft by 4ft net with rods on two ends (think dolphin cradle) and an electric winch attached to the railing (ie a clamp on boat winch) make things a lot easier and safer there?

H
halibuthitman
Growbug said:
arghhh... i have driven past this place hundred times and pulled over once to watch. Someone was using the noose technique to pull up a whopper. He took ages getting it up the wall, no idea how long it bounced off the rocks. When he got it up, he said 'Too big', unhooked it and let it fall... I walked away!

Thinking mechanically though.. wouldnt a nice 4ft by 4ft net with rods on two ends (think dolphin cradle) and an electric winch attached to the railing (ie a clamp on boat winch) make things a lot easier and safer there?

wouldn't it just be easier to fish 20' of the other 500 miles of sturgeon water in oregon? it would be fun to sit in a boat out on the river and try to shoot their lines with a pellet rifle. Why invent contraptions to facilitate a stupid location to fish.... buy a boat.

T
todd_brooks
OnTheFly said:
Hey Mike and Todd, I ultimately think you guys are right. Too tough on the fish. I used to troll for Springers in there and those guys would get really pi$$t OFF if you got too close to their lines. Salmon would cruise in the inversion layer in about 15 line pulls out but the sturgeon hole below the wall, according to the fish finder graph, dropped down to 90'.

I was wondering how you identify the inversion layer?? And is that the rule of thumb you use to find the springers??
Thanks. Todd

O
OnTheFly
todd_brooks said:
I was wondering how you identify the inversion layer?? And is that the rule of thumb you use to find the springers??
Thanks. Todd

I'm sure you have run into inversion layers while swimming in lakes where as the top section of water is warmer than water down about 10 to 15'. You ever catch trout out of Ollalie Lake? The trout get hooked in the deeper colder water and when you pull them up through the warm layer the fish will almost die. Anyhoot, if there is a rule of thumb in regards to finding fish in an inversion layer I'd say fish roughly 10 to 15' down. Remember these layers do not occur everywhere. Might also confirm this with osmosis but this information was given to me from guys trolling below Willamette Falls.:)

M
metalmania
halibuthitman said:
wouldn't it just be easier to fish 20' of the other 500 miles of sturgeon water in oregon? it would be fun to sit in a boat out on the river and try to shoot their lines with a pellet rifle. Why invent contraptions to facilitate a stupid location to fish.... buy a boat.

Exactly:D. That $***hole needs to be shutdown, permanently. The people that fish "the wall" could give a damn about those fish, and they certainly aren't going to fork over any money to put in a chute or anything of that nature, and odfw is not gonna put forth the money either. I'm amazed that place has lasted as long as it has, but it needs to be shutdown for good.