2 rod rules and sturgeon

C
cdumitru78
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2016/03_march/032916.asp

I am trying to figure out if I could fish with two rods in the Willie or tributaries, and ONLY ONE be a sturgeon rod. So, one rod would be for sturgeon, the other, something weird like carp or catfish, or any sunfish. I called ODFW and they confirmed I could do that, but for some reason the guy was not that confident. Anyone has any insight into this, I would not want top break any rules, but the idea of one sturgeon pole and another for carp or cats sounds cool.

P
playhooky
Two rods are generally allowed only in standing water bodies (lakes, ponds, reservoirs). Also authorized in some streams when specified. See zone regs. Read "Two-Rod Validation" described under General Statewide Regulations on pg. 14 of the 2017 regs. Fairly clear....I'm thinking the Willie is not a place for two rods even though you might be in possession of the Two-Rod Validation/Endorsement (unless of course ODFW gave you the OK in writing and you are carrying that authorization when you get checked). Cheers!

C
cdumitru78
I read all that and I agree with you, thats how it used to be, but did you read the link I posted above, that's from ODFW's website...

P
Pni_fisherdude
"However, angling for sturgeon remains restricted to a single rod per angler." this sentence would make think it is not a good idea to try it. But yes you are correct about 2 rods being allowed for other species in the willamette and tributaries. Although the link you posted is from last year. I am almost certain they did it again this year.

C
cdumitru78
That's exactly what I asked the guy from ODW guy, and he confirmed that as long as ONE rod only is for sturgeon, then I am OK if the other rod is NOT. I agree with your take on it though, and thats why I called to ask. There's three names and phone numbers at the bottom of the link, I will call again tomorrow to triple check.

P
playhooky
cdumitru78 said:
I read all that and I agree with you, thats how it used to be, but did you read the link I posted above, that's from ODFW's website...

Sorry.....no, I had not read the link. My bad. Sounds like the Willy and its tribs are game-on for two rods (an exception). I had not seen that. Guess I'd want to really make sure though of what you are wanting to do. Sounds like we have the same vibe about it....not completely comfortable. Easy to understand why. Hope you get the go-ahead.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
cdumitru78;n603820 said:
That's exactly what I asked the guy from ODW guy, and he confirmed that as long as ONE rod only is for sturgeon, then I am OK if the other rod is NOT. I agree with your take on it though, and thats why I called to ask. There's three names and phone numbers at the bottom of the link, I will call again tomorrow to triple check.

I believe that you got incorrect info, here is the 2017 Regulation update link for the Willamette:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/03_mar/033017.asp

it includes this: "Effective April 1 through July 31, 2017, anglers who have a two-rod validation will be able to use two rods while fishing in the Willamette River for all species except sturgeon. This includes salmon, steelhead, trout and warmwater species. Anglers fishing for sturgeon may use only one rod."

that last sentence seems clear to me: if you are fishing for sturgeon, you can use only one rod.

B
bubs
Rules aside for a second, in my experience fishing the area I think you're fishing, I would personally never want to use two rods in that way. Sturgeon bite readily there on pretty much any bait you'd be throwing for catfish, carp etc, and so a large sturgeon could (and probably eventually would since there's so many in there) take either of your baits and run with it while you're preoccupied with the other rod. Why risk the harm to your gear or the fish when things go awry? Why not just be content fishing one bait, since there's such a variety of fish that can readily be caught with one rod? Unless you're eating fish out of there (yikes)...but I mean, isn't the point of the two-rod thing more about harvesting fish?

Oh wait, all of this is irrelevant since, as I've seen from a large percentage of folks out in that area, you can just use (now two rods apparently) with small barbed hooks and hook sturgeon all day long claiming to anyone who asks that you're fishing for catfish or carp.

C
cdumitru78
rogerdodger;n603881 said:
I believe that you got incorrect info, here is the 2017 Regulation update link for the Willamette:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/03_mar/033017.asp

it includes this: "Effective April 1 through July 31, 2017, anglers who have a two-rod validation will be able to use two rods while fishing in the Willamette River for all species except sturgeon. This includes salmon, steelhead, trout and warmwater species. Anglers fishing for sturgeon may use only one rod."

that last sentence seems clear to me: if you are fishing for sturgeon, you can use only one rod.

I agree with you, that's how I read it, I was curious... we called and asked DFW and they confirmed you can, they confirmed twice on two separate calls.

C
cdumitru78
Not sure I follow you... maybe you are sarcastic, or maybe I am misreading your reply. Since is a miserable Monday morning, assuming I am not reading it right.

I was thinking of simply playing around and maybe tossing spinners or some corn for carp, something crazy just for fun, but wanted to make sure I don't break any rules. Given that I get about roughly 3 fish per 5 hour outing and that sturgeon tend to bite deliberately and never seem to take the bait and run with it, I think I would not harm the fish or the rod. Heck, I've seen older guys that take 1 minute to walk from their chair to get their rod once sturgeon start nibbling, I think those guys are more likely to create a mess all around, but it seems to work out.

As far as your knowledge of the people that fish in that area, I think you might be wrong. Based on what I've seen in the 3 years that I've been going there everyone seems to be targeting sturgeon with barbless hooks and all fish are always released fast and unharmed, always catch and release. I am still yet to see one person doing what you're describing, although I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that do that, I would report those in a heartbeat.

plumbertom
plumbertom
My take on that link is that it's temporary time period has expired. So unless you can find where it was reinstated for this year You'd be in violation and subject to being cited.
Even under that temporary rule change it reads as if using a second rod while sturgeon fishing would be a violation.
No mater how the second rod was rigged, there is always the chance you could get a sturgeon strike.

C
cdumitru78
plumbertom;n603905 said:
My take on that link is that it's temporary time period has expired. So unless you can find where it was reinstated for this year You'd be in violation and subject to being cited.
Even under that temporary rule change it reads as if using a second rod while sturgeon fishing would be a violation.
No mater how the second rod was rigged, there is always the chance you could get a sturgeon strike.

Yeah, no point in getting a violation, but I know they reinstated that for 2017, it is in the regs on their website. Most likely not worth the hassle and the risk, despite the fact that DFW is saying I could do it.

B
bubs
cdumitru78;n603903 said:
Not sure I follow you... maybe you are sarcastic, or maybe I am misreading your reply. Since is a miserable Monday morning, assuming I am not reading it right.

I was thinking of simply playing around and maybe tossing spinners or some corn for carp, something crazy just for fun, but wanted to make sure I don't break any rules. Given that I get about roughly 3 fish per 5 hour outing and that sturgeon tend to bite deliberately and never seem to take the bait and run with it, I think I would not harm the fish or the rod. Heck, I've seen older guys that take 1 minute to walk from their chair to get their rod once sturgeon start nibbling, I think those guys are more likely to create a mess all around, but it seems to work out.

As far as your knowledge of the people that fish in that area, I think you might be wrong. Based on what I've seen in the 3 years that I've been going there everyone seems to be targeting sturgeon with barbless hooks and all fish are always released fast and unharmed, always catch and release. I am still yet to see one person doing what you're describing, although I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that do that, I would report those in a heartbeat.

Well you said "carp catfish or sunfish" which to me sounds like you'd be throwing a bait rig with worms or something, not corn for carp or a spinner. My bad. And maybe you've never seen or heard of a sturgeon breaking or pulling in someone's rig, but I've personally seen it happen out there on four separate occasions, and heard of it happening many other times.

But all that aside, looks like ODFW has gotten fed up with exactly the kind of thing I describe in my post (e.g. if you walked north from Big Eddy on a nice day last summer, you'd run into at least 50-100 people doing it along the trail up to Sturgeon Lake) and closed the river I was referring to, so...moot point now!

C
cdumitru78
I saw that ODFW closed Gilbert river, and based on what you describing, there is no way they could regulate that river. As much as it stinks that the river is closed, long term survival rate of these fish is the most important issue.

Too bad as I was looking forward to some fishing there this year, I've always wanted to catch a channel catfish but never been able to do so yet. At least to me, catching a channel cat has been more challenging than any other fish.

B
bubs
I've caught channel cats just downstream from the Gilbert boat ramp, which is still open. Simple carolina rig with a small hook & 1/3 of nightcrawler, great odds of catching one if you fish there on an early AM outgoing tide. All my cats/bullheads on Sauvie Is have been ~1.5 lb or under, but I've seen some monsters landed out there!

Reactions: cdumitru78
C
cdumitru78
bubs;n604053 said:
I've caught channel cats just downstream from the Gilbert boat ramp, which is still open. Simple carolina rig with a small hook & 1/3 of nightcrawler, great odds of catching one if you fish there on an early AM outgoing tide. All my cats/bullheads on Sauvie Is have been ~1.5 lb or under, but I've seen some monsters landed out there!

That would be so much fun, would love to catch one of those suckers, for some reason I cannot to get one. I was hopeful I could catch one at Big Eddie this year, but since that is closed, sounds like this will be my best bet. How far downstream do you go from the Boat ramp? Assuming you are talking about the Gilbert boat ramp close to that nudist beach area, right at the tip of the island, where the disabled dock is? If I get understand the rule change, I can still fish the boat ramp, but will double check all the rules, dont want to break any rules. Thank you.