A question of tides

B
bubs
So this Spring I've gotten to know the Gilbert River and its sturgeon pretty well. The tide obviously influences the Gilbert in a dramatic way, by like, uh..changing the direction it flows..and obviously this often had a big effect on the bite! (My experience suggested outgoing was best btw..though on some days the action was so intense it didn't matter)

Now that most of the sturgeon have seemingly moved out into deeper water with rising water temps, I'd like to give the Gilbert a rest (pretty much a bullhead & perch show these days) and occasionally bomb some casts out into the Multnomah Channel and/or the Willamette (e.g. at Kelly Point) for sturgeon. Can anyone tell me if (and how) the tide affects the sturgeon bite in these waters?

C
cdumitru78
bubs;n596481 said:
So this Spring I've gotten to know the Gilbert River and its sturgeon pretty well. The tide obviously influences the Gilbert in a dramatic way, by like, uh..changing the direction it flows..and obviously this often had a big effect on the bite! (My experience suggested outgoing was best btw..though on some days the action was so intense it didn't matter)

Now that most of the sturgeon have seemingly moved out into deeper water with rising water temps, I'd like to give the Gilbert a rest (pretty much a bullhead & perch show these days) and occasionally bomb some casts out into the Multnomah Channel and/or the Willamette (e.g. at Kelly Point) for sturgeon. Can anyone tell me if (and how) the tide affects the sturgeon bite in these waters?

Agree with your take on tides, I have fished both Gilbert and the Willie seem to tide dependent to an extent. Recently Kelly Point has been very slow, I think it has a lot to do with the warmer water. Are you seeing the Gilbert slowing down as well? I went to Gilbert last year and did really well there in the spring, been meaning to go there but have not had the time to, bummed to hear that sturgeon are no longer there! are you seeing anything else besides sturgeon, I keep hearing about channel cats on the Gilbert but never caught one. You might also want to try to Columbia right at the tip of the Sauvie Island, that is deeper waters and colder, there might be sturgeon there.

B
bubs
So this is my first year fishing the Gilbert, definitely not an expert. But I've been out there a lot starting in March and the sturgeon action has sharply declined ever since about the middle of May. I still get one or so per outing if I hit a good tide, but it's mostly carp, yellow perch, bullheads, channel cats, and sunfish that I'm catching now.

I did try the Multnomah Channel for about 20 minutes last week and landed one sturgeon in that short time, so I'm thinking that might be a better bet.

PS I Saw a whole armada of carp swimming on the surface where the Gilbert meets Sturgeon Lake today. They were just posted up in the (strong) tidal current holding in place at the surface, was an interesting sight to see. Didn't try to catch them but definitely made a mental note.

C
cdumitru78
You could also try going in the Columbia right on Sauvie. Where you turn left to go to the Gilbert boat launch dock, go straight to the tip of the island and walk to the Columbia side. I know many have caught monster sturgeon there in the past. Kelly has been hit and miss and I have seen them bitting incoming and outgoing, although most recommend outgoing. If you are ok losing some led you could try West Linn docks, I've landed some monsters there, but that is NOT an easy place to fish. U are in really deep waters and you will get snagged.

What would you recommend for best chance to get into some channel cats around Gilbert? I've been meaning to catch some for a while, but never seem to get into any? Also, in the spring time you can go try Big Eddie's hole on Sauvie, plenty of fish there too.

B
bubs
Thanks for the suggestion(s) cdumitru. I tried the Columbia near the Warrior Point parking lot today, as you suggested, and had 45 minutes of good action (hooked 3, landed 1) right away followed by about an hour with only one bite & no hookups. Still it was a promising spot, definitely deep and fast out there!

I wish I had more advice for you concerning the channel cats on Sauvie, maybe someone else here has more tips. But I've only caught them between Big Eddy and Sturgeon lake, so the highest stretch of the river. There are periods where I and/or the people around me can't keep them off the hook fishing worms on that stretch of river. So far I haven't seen one out there over 12 or 13 inches yet though. And I haven't hooked any, or seen any hooked, below Big Eddy, tho I'm sure they're there...