West Linn report

C
cdumitru78
I was supposed to go to the dam, but I ended up not going, hit up West linn dock instead and that was crazy. Tons of fish jumping there, I have never ever seen sturgeon jump like that, we talking a fish every 5 minutes, and most were large! Some would jump so close to the dock, crazy.

Tough place to fish, lost led galore, you get snagged every third or second cast. Fish seem to be large though, really large. Twice I had fish on that started peeling line like crazy, lost them both within 5 minutes. I then brought in a 6 footer, that was a fun fight, lasted 35 minutes or so. About an hour later, and one more lost fish, I hooked into something that immediately felt big. Fought it for over 45 minutes and by that point I was so done! Ended up losing it right at the top like feet away from the top, I could see its shape but no idea how large. This thing went on some insane runs with my drag set as tight as I could, my Sealine was peeling. Call me weak, but after that I was done... my body was aching and I was starving. Fun place to fish, but the current it insanely strong, so you always end up under the dock, even with 12 ounces and better be ready to lose lots of gear, there is no way around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bass
T
TimberTodd
Nice report. Sounds like a fun day regardless of the snags.

B
Big3d
That spot is fun in a bun. When the river slows up it's a little easier to hold your stuff down and reel it back up whole. If you can launch across and let it run the channel, you will almost always catch on each cast, but the seam is good for mid range fish and hopefully you can minimize losses. On heavy current days take rocks for weight instead of costly lead. You made me miss that spot. I used to spend at least 8 hours a week there when I lived in Tualatin. Rock on. Thanks for the report.

C
cdumitru78
Funny you mention the rocks, I brought a few from the parking lot up the top, but once I ran out, I went back to regular weights. Current is way to strong for anything but very short casts, and even with 12 ounces, I was right under the dock fast. Didn't seem to matter, there were bites under the dock, at one point in time I decided to simply drop it right in front and got plenty of bites there. Water moves insanely fast right now, even a decent keeper will be pretty tough to reel out of there. Tides don't seem to matter much either which is good, you can go anytime and might get a bite.

B
Big3d
That spot has tidal influence but you are absolutely right, high or low the fish pool up there and will almost always bite. Gotta love that spot.

bass
bass
Great report! With the river so higher right now the current goes from really fast on the outgoing to just fast on in the incoming. The tides really only matter when the incoming kills the current. When there is enough water tides really have almost no impact.

C
cdumitru78
To update - my buddy went there again in the afternoon few days ago, hooked into 4 fish in 2 hours doing exactly what we were doing over the weekend. We were using shrimp and that seems to really work. I saw people there using big chunks of herring/anchovies, and I think we were doing better than them, easily. As long as you are willing to lose your weight, I think you can hook into fish there every other cast. I may even try to use a lighter leader, that might lead to losing the weight but at least I will not lose the fish.

I
igquick
No pun intended but, what length fishing pole did yall use?

C
cdumitru78
igquick said:
No pun intended but, what length fishing pole did yall use?

LOL, all good buddy, 12 feet ugly stik works really well and they are relatively cheap, like 60 bucks these days.

I
igquick
cdumitru78 said:
LOL, all good buddy, 12 feet ugly stik works really well and they are relatively cheap, like 60 bucks these days.

Gosh dangit, I'm sorry for the late reply; I assumed I had an automessage that would tell me on my phone if I got a reply but I didn't. Looks like I have to mess with the settings, or maybe I skipped it on my email I don't know.

I'm thinking of going there some time, but something is telling me to purchase a 12 footer and stop using my 8 to 9 foot rods.

C
cdumitru78
You don't have to cast too far there these days, I have hooked into 6 footers literally under the dock. I would be more concerned with the rest of the set up so you can handle bigger fish in that current. I have seen 6 footers caught there that put a hurting on you if you don't have the proper set up to bring the fish up from the bottom of the river.