Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steelhead worms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steelhead worms

    I made up some steelhead worms last night. They are around 2.5 to 3 inches long. They're soaking in shrimp scent now. What do you think?
    http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/100_3246.jpg

  • #2
    Those look nice! Steelhead would hit that because Its the first time its seen something like that. Do they float?
    Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Troutier Bassier View Post
      Those look nice! Steelhead would hit that because Its the first time its seen something like that. Do they float?
      I'm pretty sure they float. Is it better if they float? I just checked them and yes they do float.
      Last edited by TTFishon; 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM. Reason: checked worms

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TTFishon View Post
        I'm pretty sure they float. Is it better if they float? I just checked them and yes they do float.
        If you are bobber fishing... you don't want them to float
        If you are drift fishing... yes you want them to float
        If you are plunking... yes you want them to float

        Comment


        • #5
          listen to the kid whos never caught a steelhead...

          Yes its better, I think. Cause you can do more with them and they look more natural then sinking ones do.
          And You can still bobber fish with them if you put them on a jig head.
          Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FishSchooler View Post
            If you are bobber fishing... you don't want them to float
            If you are drift fishing... yes you want them to float
            If you are plunking... yes you want them to float
            I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
              I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!
              Yea I agree.. I have caught them on the worm like that. I basically drift fish them with a float. Slinky weight and float to match water condition and just barely tap bottom or just off bottom with a floating worm. Works great!
              Done on OFF.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
                I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!
                If I am thinking of you are meaning... that would probably give a better presentation, but there is a much larger chance of not seeing the bobber go down when you get a bite, because the slack that the floating worm has built.

                Do natural worms float? nooooo
                we probably have some genetically altered worms that do float... technology these days :rolleyes:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mike123 View Post
                  Yea I agree.. I have caught them on the worm like that. I basically drift fish them with a float. Slinky weight and float to match water condition and just barely tap bottom or just off bottom with a floating worm. Works great!
                  when you say float are you talking about a bobber or a corkie?
                  I'm assuming bobber.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by joni View Post
                    when you say float are you talking about a bobber or a corkie?
                    I'm assuming bobber.
                    Yea bobber... I say float cause bobber just reminds me of those plastic red and white ones we used as kids.
                    Done on OFF.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mike123 View Post
                      Yea bobber... I say float cause bobber just reminds me of those plastic red and white ones we used as kids.
                      Keep Laughing Mike...
                      Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        im not a kid but bobbers and worms work great imo.. might wanna give it a try for old time sakes lol
                        Blog http://oregonshane.wordpress.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mike123 View Post
                          Yea bobber... I say float cause bobber just reminds me of those plastic red and white ones we used as kids.
                          ok cool so why not just drift fish instead of drift fish with a bobber?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by joni View Post
                            ok cool so why not just drift fish instead of drift fish with a bobber?
                            Slow water or deep pools... you could just use a couple split shot, but I just prefer a float.

                            TB... sorry to offend you, are those the kind of bobbers you use?
                            Done on OFF.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Throbbit _Shane View Post
                              im not a kid but bobbers and worms work great imo.. might wanna give it a try for old time sakes lol
                              I use bobber and worms all the time! I use 1/8oz west coast slip floats! They don't tangle and you can fish whatever depth you want!
                              Done on OFF.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Mike123 View Post
                                I use bobber and worms all the time! I use 1/8oz west coast slip floats! They don't tangle and you can fish whatever depth you want!
                                Im gonna start using those too. I wish that outdoors place didnt close so damn early.
                                Blog http://oregonshane.wordpress.com/

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Throbbit _Shane View Post
                                  Im gonna start using those too. I wish that outdoors place didnt close so damn early.
                                  Yea I hate those dam clip on ones! If you don't fling it out there jussssttt right, they tangle all up. Plus you can only fish like 5ft max...
                                  Done on OFF.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by steelhead_stalkers View Post
                                    I disagree when float fishing. Its not bad to have them float and sometimes I think its better. You can set your leader to two or three feet and have no weight on your leader. Use the weight above your leader as your depth gauge and try to get it close to the bottom, then you leader will swing around down towards the bottom and the floating worm will move around in the current like a natural worm would. Works pretty good from what I hear!
                                    your right or should i say that is the most productive and natural way to fish them i know a lot of guides and top pros that only fish there worms that way or with a white pearl jig head that is how i perfer to fish them



                                    and fish schooler in the river where you would be fishing a pink worm they do float well at least they float up in the curent of the water they are so lite they just float up and wigle all around in the curent
                                    or so that is what i have sean

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Mike123 View Post
                                      Slow water or deep pools... you could just use a couple split shot, but I just prefer a float.

                                      TB... sorry to offend you, are those the kind of bobbers you use?
                                      HAHAHAHAHA! No, I'm not much of a bobber guy, But if I was I would have a tackle box full of those things.
                                      When fishing with a fly rod, Clip one onto your swivel and you have a bobber and jig with a fly rod, Plus, There cheap and easy to see.
                                      Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Troutier Bassier View Post
                                        HAHAHAHAHA! No, I'm not much of a bobber guy, But if I was I would have a tackle box full of those things.
                                        When fishing with a fly rod, Clip one onto your swivel and you have a bobber and jig with a fly rod, Plus, There cheap and easy to see.
                                        I usually use a big orange corkie for fly rod bobber and peg it with a toothpick.. that's works pretty well.
                                        Done on OFF.

                                        Comment

                                        Most Popular

                                        Collapse

                                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                                        Started by killigan, 11-14-2016, 01:46 AM
                                        17 responses
                                        623 views
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post killigan  
                                        Started by Gulfstream, 11-29-2016, 06:25 PM
                                        6 responses
                                        277 views
                                        1 like
                                        Last Post TimberTodd  
                                        Started by Airikan, 11-05-2016, 03:30 PM
                                        5 responses
                                        687 views
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post ChezJfrey  
                                        Started by gfisher2003, 10-30-2016, 06:36 PM
                                        16 responses
                                        448 views
                                        0 likes
                                        Last Post ChezJfrey  
                                        Working...
                                        X