Oregon, Washington and Idaho up Steelhead Limits to 5 Fish!

T
The Nothing
But only along the snake...

ODFW increases bag limit for hatchery steelhead in Northeast Oregon streams

October 13, 2009

ENTERPRISE, Ore. – Record numbers of steelhead returning to the Snake River system has prompted Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife to increase the bag limit for adipose fin-clipped steelhead in several northeast Oregon waters.

Beginning on Sunday, October 18, the bag limit for adipose fin-clipped steelhead will increase from three to five fish per day and will remain in effect through April 15, 2010 in the following areas:

* Grande Ronde River from the Oregon/Washington state line to the mouth of the Wallowa River;
* Wallowa River from the mouth to Trout Creek; and,
* Imnaha River from the mouth to Big Sheep Creek.

In the Snake River from the Oregon/Washington state line to the angling deadline below Hell’s Canyon Dam, the bag limit will be five adipose fin-clipped steelhead of which no more than three may be 32-inches total length or greater. The states of Idaho and Washington have implemented similar regulations in the Snake River and tributaries.

The June 1 through October 10 count of steelhead at lower Granite Dam is over 230,000 this year, about double the 10-year average. With such a large run in the Snake River, managers expect abundant hatchery steelhead to return to trapping facilities on the Wallowa River, Little Sheep Creek (Imnaha basin), and at Hell’s Canyon Dam on the Snake River.

“We expect a very good fishery this year,” said Bill Knox, ODFW fish biologist in Enterprise. “There will be plenty of fish and we encourage anglers to keep adipose fin-clipped, hatchery steelhead to help reduce the potential interactions with ESA-listed wild steelhead in these waters. Retention of adipose fin-clipped hatchery steelhead will also help reduce surplus returns to hatchery trapping facilities next spring.”

Anglers are still required to record steelhead on their combined angling tags and follow all other regulations contained in the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations.

ah... and here's Washington

Retention limit of hatchery steelhead changed in Grande Ronde, Snake Rivers

Action: Allow the harvest of five (5) hatchery steelhead per day in the Snake River and a portion of the Grande Ronde River.

Effective date: Oct. 7, 2009 through March 31, 2010 in the mainstem Snake River from its mouth to the Oregon state line (including the boundary waters with Idaho).

Oct. 7, 2009 through April 15, 2010 in the Grande Ronde River from the County Road Bridge to the Oregon state line.

Species affected: Hatchery steelhead

Fishery Location and Harvest Rules: In the mainstem Snake River from its mouth upstream to the Oregon border (including the boundary waters with Idaho), the daily hatchery steelhead limit will be five (5) of which not more than three may be equal to or greater than 32 inches total length).

Grande Ronde River within Washington. 1) From the mouth of the Grande Ronde River to County Road Bridge (approximately 2.5 miles upstream) release all steelhead. 2) From the County Road Bridge to Oregon state line the daily limit will be five (5) hatchery steelhead per day, with no upper size restriction.

Reason for action: A large number of hatchery steelhead is returning to the Columbia and Snake River basins. Only a small number of these returning hatchery steelhead are needed for broodstock purposes, therefore all excess hatchery steelhead can be harvested. Removal of excess hatchery steelhead will reduce potential adverse effects on ESA listed wild steelhead.

Gear Restrictions: See 2009-2010 WDFW Fishing Rules pamphlet for applicable gear restrictions within southeast Washington waters open to steelhead fishing.

Other information: Anglers are encouraged to retain all hatchery steelhead they catch when it is legal to do so. This regulation change for steelhead angling ensures consistent daily sport fishing limits in boundary waters of the Snake River with Idaho, and adjacent areas of the Snake and Grande Ronde rivers with Oregon.

Information contact: For more information, contact John Whalen, Regional Fish Program Manager, WDFW Spokane Regional Office at (509) 892-7861.

The i figured this was where that big steelhead run the other month was heading. Sure enough.

F
fishnquest
sweet. go get em.

F
fishin_fool
Haven't shown up in big numbers as of yet but some fish have been caught on the clearwater and at the dam at hells canyon and the salmon but not in great numbers hopefully the rest will show up soon

D
Drachir
I read an article recently, that the Grande Ronde alone is expecting more than 30,000 Hatchery Steelhead. I would love to be heading to Troy to take in some of this action. Sounds like a blast.:dance:

M
Mad dog
Drachir said:
I read an article recently, that the Grande Ronde alone is expecting more than 30,000 Hatchery Steelhead. I would love to be heading to Troy to take in some of this action. Sounds like a blast.:dance:

My brother-in-law sent me this last week. His stepson's first steelhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Drachir
That's Awesome, thanks for sharing.:clap:

F
fishin_fool
time to head east for steel count at lower granite now over 260,000 expected to rise above 300,000

J
joesnuffy
I was going to take the boat to Oxbow this weekend but now.........?

The BIG problem with this many fish is that everybody and there mom show's up to catch em'.

Combat Fishing sucks!!!!! :(

F
fishin_fool
I hear that there are Hundreds already fishing the riggins area and lining up the banks like when the chinook show up. Haven't heard from buddies on hells canyon yet but I'll bet its the same with very little room there...Put on your combat gear...