Noob, be gentle. Questions about set up.

H
HMiles86
Hello everyone, thought I would make my first post. As the title suggests, I have wasted way too much of my life jerking around and finally took the plunge to dedicate myself to fishing. It is something I have always enjoyed just always put it on the back burner. I am a complete noob and was hoping to gain as much knowledge from you as I can. I am looking for advice in a good beginners set up. I will set the budget about about 200 dollars and plan to fish from the bank, a kayak, and hopefully one day a boat of my own. I enjoy spinning reels, so I was thinking of getting one of those to start with. I have read that the Shimano Sedona 4000 is a good place to start with along side an ugly stik. What are your thoughts and opinions about this and what would your recommend? Thank you for your time and look forward to your advice.

O
OnTheDrop
Sedona and an ugly stick will get the job done in almost any situation...

Reactions: ChezJfrey
M
montym
What do you want to fish for though? You have any specific specie in mind or just want to catch anything that bites? I agree with Tanner, but if you will get more specific answers and tips if we know what you're after.

Cheers
M

troutdude
troutdude
Monty,

He posted under the "Steelhead" sub forum. So I'd bet that's his target specie. LOL

I also agree, with Tanner. If you're gonna fish smaller waters, go with a rod in the 8' range. Larger waters--or if you're gonna float fish--then up that to a 9 footer; or even a 10 footer. The trick there, is to keep your line OFF of the water--and tight to the bobber, for quick and solid hooksets.

Welcome to OFF. Let us know, how you do.

Tight lines,

TD

P
pinstriper
Take that first $200 and buy yourself a fishing lesson with Tanner. Look at what he puts in your hands, how he rigs it, where he tells you to cast, how to manage once you have a bite.

W
Willerman
IMO, a 9'6 Okuma Celilo paired with a Pflueger President is a good bargain beginner bobber fishing setup. You would also have enough money left over to buy another (bargain) rod and reel for throwing spinners (I use the same reel and an 8'6 rod for that). These are the 2 setups/techniques I always bring with me and have found success on. You can find out how to fish these techniques by searching the forums, but YouTube is also a life-saver for noobs (which I still consider myself when I'm going after chrome!). Good luck and tight lines.

Reactions: ChezJfrey and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Willerman;n604681 said:
9'6 Okuma Celilo paired with a Pflueger President is a good bargain beginner bobber fishing setup.

X2. A solid set up that, you can depend on.

H
HMiles86
Thank you guys for the great advice! I appreciate it. I will look into all these.

Reactions: troutdude
S
Stumpy
Often, we ask about what we're already thinking. I think you'll do great with whatever you buy.

I strongly and highly recommend Pinstriper's sage counsel. Go fish with a guy that is expert in what you want to do. Pay very close attention. Look at it as your lecture before your final exam! Tanner has a great reputation on this site, and I don't even know the guy. A little tutoring at the front end will save you countless hours down the road. Good for Pinstrper, and go get'em!

C
ChezJfrey
Willerman;n604681 said:
IMO, a 9'6 Okuma Celilo paired with a Pflueger President is a good bargain beginner bobber fishing setup. You would also have enough money left over to buy another (bargain) rod and reel for throwing spinners (I use the same reel and an 8'6 rod for that). These are the 2 setups/techniques I always bring with me and have found success on. You can find out how to fish these techniques by searching the forums, but YouTube is also a life-saver for noobs (which I still consider myself when I'm going after chrome!). Good luck and tight lines.

Agreed, Willerman.

Another inexpensive option for float setups is the Okuma Connoisseur with a Michigan handle. In fact, since sensitivity and such is really not important for float fishing, mostly length, that rod is still my preferred float setup as the handle style puts the reel toward the butt, like a fly rod, granting extra length with the balance shifted downward; I love that. And I need to keep suggesting it, so other people buy them and they don't get discontinued, LOL

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/prod...sseur-rod.html

D: Michigan handle, 10 feet, medium light

They go for $40-$45 for the rod alone and make a great float-fishing rod, leaving the other half of that $200 for a 8-6"/9-0" hardware or drift rod (which I recommend).

The OP choice for a Sedona reel is fine as well. Celilos are a decent choice; I have a couple from my early steelhead days, kept as backups now.

Tanner's a good guy, and I like the fact he can admit that an Ugly Stick and Sedona are fine to start with...he must not be sponsored by anyone to have him say go with a Stradic and Edge rod, LOL

While going with Tanner for a trip is a great idea, I also think when on a limited budget, a person might feel like they get more mileage by buying some moderately priced gear instead, so they can get a bunch more fishing trips with that money; though likely much fewer fish in the beginning, for sure.

Another problem in the beginning, is no matter how many fish caught with a guide, it still often remains a mystery to the recently initiated, why/how those fish were in those spots, how they were really caught. Although it took many months to catch my first steelhead on my own, I think it was best that I scoured sites like this and others, read a couple books, hit the rivers often, and figured a bunch of it out while hiking the banks. Now when I go with Tanner, I know why/how the fish were in those lies.

O
OnTheDrop
ChezJfrey;n604716 said:
Agreed, Willerman.

Another inexpensive option for float setups is the Okuma Connoisseur with a Michigan handle. In fact, since sensitivity and such is really not important for float fishing, mostly length, that rod is still my preferred float setup as the handle style puts the reel toward the butt, like a fly rod, granting extra length with the balance shifted downward; I love that. And I need to keep suggesting it, so other people buy them and they don't get discontinued, LOL

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/prod...sseur-rod.html

D: Michigan handle, 10 feet, medium light

They go for $40-$45 for the rod alone and make a great float-fishing rod, leaving the other half of that $200 for a 8-6"/9-0" hardware or drift rod (which I recommend).

The OP choice for a Sedona reel is fine as well. Celilos are a decent choice; I have a couple from my early steelhead days, kept as backups now.

Tanner's a good guy, and I like the fact he can admit that an Ugly Stick and Sedona are fine to start with...he must not be sponsored by anyone to have him say go with a Stradic and Edge rod, LOL

While going with Tanner for a trip is a great idea, I also think when on a limited budget, a person might feel like they get more mileage by buying some moderately priced gear instead, so they can get a bunch more fishing trips with that money; though likely much fewer fish in the beginning, for sure.

Another problem in the beginning, is no matter how many fish caught with a guide, it still often remains a mystery to the recently initiated, why/how those fish were in those spots, how they were really caught. Although it took many months to catch my first steelhead on my own, I think it was best that I scoured sites like this and others, read a couple books, hit the rivers often, and figured a bunch of it out while hiking the banks. Now when I go with Tanner, I know why/how the fish were in those lies.

Gotta give credit where credit is due Chez. That's gotta be the most solid beginner set up.... I saw a guy catch a 20lb fall nook on the Siuslaw 4 years ago on a 4.5ft US with a nightcrawler fishing for sea-runs. We've towed shakers in with the smaller stik as well... I grew up on Ugly Stiks, and have a few Sedonas in my quiver to this day...For an inexpensive reel the Sedona has lasted incredibly long...

Good luck OP, let us know what you end up with and how it goes.

R
RednaxBass
OnTheDrop;n604674 said:
an ugly stick will get the job done in almost any situation...

True. I have had an Ugly Stik for around a year now and it is still very smooth and it works well. I think they are very good for their price.