Fishing Sandy with 10 lb mono; advise

T
tkdguy
Yesterday, I returned to Steelhead fishing after many years. No luck on the lower Sandy near Lewis and Clark. Windy. My 10 lb mono with 1/2 oz spinners cast about 30 yards in the wind from an 8.5 foot rod. I noticed as the lure came closer to the shoreline I could see the Maxim mono leading the lure. Question: I could switch to a 4-6 foot florocarbon leader with 10 or 8 pound lead but then again I thought it might be better to simply swap out the 10 lb mono for 8 pound to eliminate the detection factor leading the lure and still doing the flurocarbon lead. Any ideas? Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Also, looking to purchase a 10'5" or longer rod preferably at discount. Any suggestions via mail order or around Portland?

hobster
hobster
If you are fishing spinners I don't think the line maters much at all. Personally, I use 15 lb. ultragreen with no leader for my spinner/spoon rod so I can retrieve more gear. I know guys that go straight to braided line from the spinners (which I wouldn't do) and catch fish. There is more of a instant reaction from the fish, it's not like drifting or a jig where you need stealth. The only problem with thicker line is it cuts through the water slower but you can get around that. 10 lb. mainline directly to the swivel/spinner should work just fine :thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
Similar to hobster, I just have 12# Ultragreen mainline. If I get ambitious, I'll tie on a few feet of 10# fluorocarbon but, if I break it off during the day, I just tie on to the mainline and it seems to be fine.

hobster
hobster
C_Run;n602743 said:
Similar to hobster, I just have 12# Ultragreen mainline. If I get ambitious, I'll tie on a few feet of 10# fluorocarbon but, if I break it off during the day, I just tie on to the mainline and it seems to be fine.

I used to use 12 lb. but changed it up last year. I loose less gear, but it does take a bit longer for my spinner to get down, and it doesn't cast as well. I think i'll keep it at 15 lb. for now, I've gotten used to it.

B
Berg03
Like Hobster said, mostly your spinner bite is a reaction bite. Line shouldnt be a problem, especially 10lb. I personally do use a 10lb fluro leader on my spinners, but I am also throwing braid on my gear. I just feel more confident with the fluro leader. (don't think it really matters)

C
ChezJfrey
I will chime in and also say that for spinners/spoons, line doesn't much matter, especially in winter. I use 15 lb. mono attached to hardware in the winter; that is tied to 30 lb. braid.

Funny story about my first year of steelheading. I was fishing for nearly a year, without any steelhead and toward the end of the day, grumpy and without patience. I had just broken off a spoon, running out of time for the day, and in a last-ditch effort for a few more casts, skipped tying another mono leader to my braid and just tied the spoon directly to the braid (being smart enough to switch to a uni knot for the braid, instead of the standard clinch used with mono). Made a couple casts and holy smokes, actually got hammered by a steelhead. Only my second ever hooked (I lost the first, so was still batting zero against steelhead).

The fish exploded from the water, then bolted down the river. I am inexperienced with the pure rush of these fish, had never actually landed one, and feeling a little scared, then got a bright idea, "Hey, I'm running 30 lb. braid, this fish is going nowhere!" I clamped down the drag and fish slows to a crawl. It thrashes some, lurches...then my line goes limp. What? Reel in and it pays everyone to remember from my debacle that you are still only as strong as the weakest link; the hook bent out. My 'brilliance' had me still batting zero against the steelhead after my first 9 months of that first year. LOL

But, the point being, hardware tied directly to a dark braided line didn't deter the fish from biting. A 10 lb. mono will do nothing to spook them from a spinner. In summer, I do switch to lighter 8 lb., but that's mostly because the smaller spoons I use don't sink well with thicker line.

Last edited:
T
tkdguy
This info is really helpful. What rod length are you using? I have been using 8'6" medium fast but cast 30 yards in the wind on the Sandy. I'm thinking to move up to a 10'6" spinning rod likely medium fast. I have a 9' medium rod for salmon/steelhead with 10-20 pound line. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

T
troutmasta
Longer rods cast farther- Also keep in mind that heavier line does not cast as far. Maybe consider a really light braid like 15 lb spider wire, with a 12 lb mono bumper.

I generally use a 9-10 food rod for casting spinners, but I use longer roads for most casting applications.

T
tkdguy
Troutmasta: Which specific Spider Wire product? They produce many types. Thanks.

T
troutmasta
1f-6f7c505aa135_1.045c7b0396f92c9bdb9a9271097eaf73.jpgSomething like that. I use a lot of Nano fill as wellberkley_nanofil_alt1_2.jpg

T
tkdguy
I just picked up the 20 pound Spider Wire and will mate that with 10 pound FloroCarbon. I am searching for a 10'6" spinning rod but can not find at Bi-Mart. I contacted Lamaglass Outlet but no response. May have to shop at the big Sporting Stores.

D
DrTheopolis
tkdguy;n602738 said:
My 10 lb mono with 1/2 oz spinners cast about 30 yards

Wait, what?

On a 7' rod, I can cast a half-ounce until my spool runs out of line. Sounds like there's a problem.

As far as line -- I've fished the Spider Wire Mono in 8# a bunch. Works great. The only drawback is what I assume is due to UV exposure, it gets brittle after a few weeks/months. Thin diameter, which gets a spinner down more quickly.

R
ryank
It's not the line giving you issues. Spinners are not the most aerodynamic lure. Try casting a heavy spoon, or drift gear when it's windy.

S
Spoonplugger1
A longer rod doesn't necessarily equate to longer casting distances, and they are less sensitive all things being equal. Not knowing what your fishing with other than line size and length kind of leaves us all in the dark. not all 8 1/2 ft. rods casts spinners equally. My old Berkeley Series One medium casting rod for instance is far better at it than any other I own, or have used/fished, but put a 2/3 oz, spoon, or a heavier float set up on it and it's a real dog. The tip folds up on you.
I used 10 and 12 lb. green Izorline on it a lot.