Very few steelhead over Willamette Falls

T
thundercleez
I was looking at the count for winter steelhead over Willamette Falls. As of today it is 253. Looking back at the records over the past ten years this is only 10-20% of the norm. Usually sitting between 1500-2500 at this point. The closest to this low I can find is February 2006 when there were only 501 over the falls on Feb 7 and then within a week 2500 fish rushed over.

Anyone that has been around for a while and can provide some insight? Maybe high cold water preventing movement? Less fish planted? Massive smolt death?

Thanks,
Vince

C_Run
C_Run
I can't speak to the numbers but those would be wild fish and not planted. They could still come so let's see. My first steelhead was a wild winter up the Little N. Fk .Santiam in April in a year with less than 3000 total.

D
DrTheopolis
We can hope it's the cold water holding them back.

C
cobias
Turn out the lights....the partys over

B
BaldTexan
Sea lions and seals just below the falls and fish ladder have been having an all you can eat buffet for weeks.

C
cobias
BaldTexan;n603412 said:
Sea lions and seals just below the falls and fish ladder have been having an all you can eat buffet for weeks.

Yeah, pike minnow and leftover herring .

S
Spoonplugger1
With all the rain this year there is no reason for the fish to stage and wait for water, look at some earlier records and see if they spiked earlier this year. With good water fish will move 3 - 4 times further each day sometimes.

Top Bottom