Winter steelhead season

A
Airikan
Morning, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to steelhead fishing. Any general tips on best time of season for Sandy or Clack river systems? I hooked up a coho at Dabney the other day and it's got the obsession ramped up for winter!

S
sheed
I was there yesterday 11/5. What did you use?

A
Airikan
I was there on Friday, and I was using the standard drift bobber set up with a pink rubber shrimp tail. It was the first time I hooked up on the Sandy. Like I said I'm new to this, just need to put in more hours!

Reactions: Raincatcher
D
DrTheopolis
The Clack and Sandy have been using different breeding stock than they used to, so the bulk of the runs show up a little later than they traditionally have, which is a little later than the coastal streams. There usually isn't strong numbers until after New Years... but there's typically some that are early, and some that show late. January through March are usually the best months. Coastal streams usually start getting a few around Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind, these are generalizations, and every year is a little different.

A
Airikan
Thanks doc! can't waitvto get out again.

C
ChezJfrey
Just adding to reiterate DrT. For steelhead, the bulk of the winter run/best chances are during Jan-April. Additional good news, is that summers will start to come in...sometimes as early as late March, through early summer, so many months of great opportunity. Not to say some don't come in earlier/later, but before Jan. can be quite sparse and difficult to find.

Coastal rivers are where it's at if you want a better chance from now until the Clack/Sandy fish show up in better numbers.