Steelhead dreams

hobster
hobster
I love chasing summer steelhead when the first rains hit because everyone is off salmon fishing, the rivers are empty and the fishing can be excellent. Today was one of those days. I was supposed to hit Siltcoos with Roger but we decided with the weather we should put it off. Since I had the day off and the river dropped to where I like it I decided to go try for some steelies. What a day it was! My best day of steelhead fishing, I must have hooked 12-15 fish. I am a little embarrassed at how many I lost until I decided to bust out my winter setup, the 8 lb. leader just wasn't cutting it since the water was pretty high. I landed 6 fish, one was a nasty ol nook so I cut the line. The coolest thing also happened today, I was using a #4 blue fox and decided to switch over to a #3. I was standing on a rock and just tossed it in the water a couple of feet in front of me just to see what the action was like at that water height. I'm just watching it spin and a nook comes out of nowhere and grabs it! It was funny and crazy to see. I had a blast today, ran into an old buddy and there was only 1 other angler out there. Wish I had more pictures but it was pouring all day and the phone stayed in the jacket. Just wanted to share this awesome day with you guys.

IMG_0407.JPG

Reactions: BlueSkye, BaldTexan, EOBOY and 4 others
Southpaw
Southpaw
That's an awesome day for sure! Everyone would dream of that kind of day

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sweeeeet....

B
billfisher
Fantastic! Love the colors!

Chromatose
Chromatose
:thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
That sounds epic. I've been dreaming, too, just dreaming, though.

O
OnTheDrop
Atta boy !

T
troutmasta
Sweet day brother. Nothing like watching a strike!

hobster
hobster
Thanks everybody, good to see you on here Jeff!

C
ChezJfrey
Hey, since troutmasta surfaced from the depths of the internet...so will I :)

Nice post about your stellar outing. Now I just need to dust off my cobwebs and start getting my feet wet again. It's been awhile...stuff, ya know?

Oh, and hobster...fellow guitarist. I found an old 2001 Tacoma guitar on Seattle craigslist, made the 4 hour drive about a week ago and now have a literally new Tacoma. It sat in its case for 14 years, only played a couple times and actually still had the original strings on it from when new. Nice!

Reactions: oh2fish
R
rippin fish lips
Steelhead Dreamin always :) Good fish!

hobster
hobster
Wow, I got Jeff, Chez, and Tanner (both of em) to post. Good stuff! I had a blast fishing the other day with you Tanner, that was a fun, I ended up 3/5. Steelhead dreaming always is correct!

Awesome to hear you got a new axe Chez, I haven't played many Tacoma's but I hear they made some amazing guitars back then! Nothing like finding a pristine one still in the OHC. Enjoy! I am obsessed with the vintage Japanese guitars of the 70's and early-mid 80's, they quality was incredible.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
What a fantastic day!

C
ChezJfrey
hobster;n599853 said:
Wow, I got Jeff, Chez, and Tanner (both of em) to post. Good stuff! I had a blast fishing the other day with you Tanner, that was a fun, I ended up 3/5. Steelhead dreaming always is correct!

Awesome to hear you got a new axe Chez, I haven't played many Tacoma's but I hear they made some amazing guitars back then! Nothing like finding a pristine one still in the OHC. Enjoy! I am obsessed with the vintage Japanese guitars of the 70's and early-mid 80's, they quality was incredible.

Ah speaking of Japanese guitars of the 80s, one of my regrets is the day I gave away my low-end Takamine. It was not one of the super nice ones they make, but it was a decent, solid guitar that I had when I first started to play. But, in 1998, I gave it to a girl I knew that was just learning guitar and I had already purchased my first Tacoma just prior, which was an incredible sounding guitar, so knew I would never play that Takamine ever again. But, in retrospect, would be nice to still have that old guitar around...we had spent a lot of time together :)

O
OnTheDrop
hobster;n599853 said:

It's cause we are Steel-crazy.......

R
rippin fish lips
Little more then just steel crazy! Friends and normal people outside of it will never understand

hobster
hobster
Ha ha,, steel addicted man!

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey;n599865 said:
Ah speaking of Japanese guitars of the 80s, one of my regrets is the day I gave away my low-end Takamine. It was not one of the super nice ones they make, but it was a decent, solid guitar that I had when I first started to play. But, in 1998, I gave it to a girl I knew that was just learning guitar and I had already purchased my first Tacoma just prior, which was an incredible sounding guitar, so knew I would never play that Takamine ever again. But, in retrospect, would be nice to still have that old guitar around...we had spent a lot of time together :)

We all have some we miss, I had a Les Paul in high school I traded outright for a Charvel. It was the metal years and seemed like the right thing to do, boy I wish I hadn't! If you are into Matsumoku made guitars we'd have a lot to talk about! Maybe someday there will be another forum gathering and we can jam out :thumb: