Oregon steelhead fishing (2010 - 2021)

K
killigan
Had today off, so of course I went fishing. Went 1 for 2 today, was rather slow fishing. Both fish were hooked drift fishing black yarn and a size 14 glitter black chartreuse spot corky. Stayed longer than expected, but it paid off. Wasn't going to keep fish today, but once I got it in I decided differently. Left my camera at home today (duh).
steel6.JPG

Reactions: Admin
K
killigan
No Title

Number three for this week. A 30.5" hen, my boot of the year, thus far.

J
Jordy
3f03e9cdf4ded113b9552f93b28a6cc8.jpg

Got a nice brat tonight after more than 2 weeks of lost fish.

Starting after the 4th when we had that little "Summer miracle" I moved every last scheduling conflict around I could swing. Every day I was out I lost 3-6 fish. Broken hooks, broken leaders, broken rods, hot fish (can't fix that), fish jumping in the bushes, had a guy walk up and not see a guy with a fish on (me) and cast over my line and end up costing me that fish.

I got low-holed by the same guy 3 times. One afternoon I had worked a fish off a riffle and was stepping it down to an obstruction (4 tail slaps in 25 casts) and he walked up and cast right over my swing and hooked up. He proceeded to jump on the drift I was stepping through and start tossing giant bobbers or huge pink spinners and spoons on other occasions.

I had a big fish on and with heavy gear and I had a hard time controlling the fish. A drift boat above me chased another big fish through the rapid and while they did a great job, they were using very light gear and our fish found each other and saved their own lives (a fish I would lose all over again, a circus that ended with a great laugh and handshakes all around).

I had a bad spool of maxima 15lb UG that lost 5 fish and $50 in hardware before I figured out what was up.

Literally everything went wrong all at once...

The moral of the story is that you ALWAYS remember a bad run. I was somewhere in the middle of a 70 for 80 run for this season and lost 15 fish straight.

I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS RUN OF LOST FISH!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: BaldTexan, Paul Smith and Admin
B
BaldTexan
Recently got my GF addicted to wading and exploring coastal tribs after summer steelhead. She bought some waders and wading boots and after a couple of trips using my gear she decided she needed her own setup. Took her to Fishermans where she purchased a pink SST ML rod and Shimano reel and a handful of spinners.

We went out Sunday morning and began wading and exploring and found a gem of a hole. I hooked 3 back to back and managed to get 2 to the bank. She switched to the same spinner and immediately put 2 on the bank breaking in her new setup nicely. She is STILL grinning. Another addict added to the ranks. :)78d93c233acdda2e95f7be6a6d4f437d.jpg7e768565f942b98556962edddad51680.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EOBOY and Admin
J
JonT
No Title

Reactions: BaldTexan
B
BaldTexan
No Title

....another trip and another on the pink rod. Only strike either of us had all morning.

J
JonT
No Title

C
ChezJfrey
First 2016 Winter Chromedome

Reactions: BaldTexan, cddunn, Admin and 2 others
P
Pni_fisherdude
Took my brother out with tanner earlier this week and he nailed this beauty. I got one too but we didn't get any pics. Time to book your trips!

Reactions: BaldTexan, Admin and pinstriper
B
bd2cool
Went down to Alton Baker Park for trout fishing. After 3 hour of rain,freezing rain and wind this guy wanted my green garlic powerbait. This is my first steelhead off of powerbait. Has anyone use powerbait for steelhead?

C
Camo
Way to cold to fish today….Until this fish took the bait and took OFF upstream with no intention of coming back! Good long fight through snags and rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
W
waco
I have to show off this nice big native caught with one of my jigs. Waco jigs.

Reactions: BaldTexan
hobster
hobster
Finally got some ink on the tag today, after having a pretty good December this month has been rough! My buddy Ryan texted me last night and asked me if I wanted to float the river today since he was free.......uh yeah! He is super cool, knows his stuff and guides for all the right reasons. If you need a guide on the Slaw call Grey Ghost guide services. Nice 32' buck, a bit dark but the meat was great and the way this year has been i'm just stoked to get some!

Reactions: BaldTexan, billfisher, killigan and 1 other person
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
30" Siuslaw STEP Hen.

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
No Title

Reactions: BaldTexan and Admin
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
No Title

C
ChezJfrey
Holy smokes, O. mykiss! That's a biggun!

My first of the season on my 'usual goto' water:

Reactions: BaldTexan, O. mykiss and Admin
C
ChezJfrey
I always like when I set the true survivors free. My best survivor was from a few years ago, on the Wilson. Chunks of flesh missing, but still carrying on like a trooper:

M
Mattyonthebass
Hello everyone! I'm new to OFF and I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing my experiences with all of you.

Reactions: Admin and Raincatcher
C
clarkman23
I like sea lice....