rogerdodger
in the river. :lol:

B
bigavicfan
Smartass haha but really? Need to get sum fishing in

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
Depends on where you live. The run hasn't yet really begun, on the Santiam. But the lower Clack, or Sandy, should be worth a try.

S
Sage_Flyguy
I caught this strange looking Steelhead on the South Santiam Tuesday

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466819514.75.jpg
Reactions: BaldTexan, Iki Jime, billfisher and 1 other person
P
Pni_fisherdude
Caught this one today. 86fbf0c07dcb270d837bf38c165379d3.jpg733792b004de61e32bb22e9264c57927.jpg

Reactions: Admin
D
DrTheopolis
Looks like the Upper Valley guys are starting to get it on!

Flyguy, what the heck is that, a walleye? Weird (I think).

troutdude
troutdude
S
Sage_Flyguy
It was a Smallmouth, and yes very weird, once we got past a little tributary the water really warmed up

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

S
Steelheader4Life
The run hasn't yet really begun, on the Santiam. But the lower Clack, or Sandy, should be worth a try.

I wouldn't say that at all. I know of a lot of people that have been killing the summer steelhead on both the North and South forks. And I'm talking about 5-6 fish a trip with a slow day consisting of 1-2 fish :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S
spoonjedi
No Title

6 for 8 the last 8 days at Packsaddle.

Reactions: Admin
N
nwguy23
Figured I would add to this thread... I'm in Corvallis and new to fishing for steelhead. Would you recommend hitting up the Siletz or the N. Santiam? The drive time is going to be similar... I try to avoid the packed crowd at the South Santiam.

troutdude
troutdude
NWguy...welcome to OFF.

You'll have MUCH better success, on the Siletz! Good luck and tight lines. You might also find, some decent Bluebacks too.

N
nwguy23
troutdude;n596951 said:
NWguy...welcome to OFF.

You'll have MUCH better success, on the Siletz! Good luck and tight lines. You might also find, some decent Bluebacks too.

Appreciate the input. Also, I've lost countless spinners and yet to catch a fish, so I've decided to switch to bobber fishing. Last time I went out (still no fish on the N. Santiam though) I used a bead pegged 2" up from the hook w/ my bobber, also tried a weighted jig hook with a prawn. Any recommendations as far as setup goes or should those be sufficient? Thanks... Been reading online and it seems like it may just be a matter of preference.

troutdude
troutdude
If you're losing spinners; you're fishing them correctly. Cuz they'll be in the strike zone. However, perhaps you are using ones too large? This time of year, size 2 is about right. Have you tried size 2, or even 1?

Try bobber w/ a worm (real ones). Or bobber and pink rubber worms. Check out youtube, for "how to" videos. You can also drift them, down into the strike zone, with multiple small split shots attched at intervals on your line. Don't use large weights--and especially not all weight, in one spot on your line. Spread the weights out. Good luck

Reactions: nwguy23
N
nwguy23
troutdude;n596964 said:
If you're losing spinners; you're fishing them correctly. Cuz they'll be in the strike zone. However, perhaps you are using ones too large? This time of year, size 2 is about right. Have you tried size 2, or even 1?

Try bobber w/ a worm (real ones). Or bobber and pink rubber worms. Check out youtube, for "how to" videos. You can also drift them, down into the strike zone, with multiple small split shots attched at intervals on your line. Don't use large weights--and especially not all weight, in one spot on your line. Spread the weights out. Good luck

I'll try some smaller ones, I was using 3s and 4s. I ended up hitting up the Siletz and used Prawns, and then tried a bead pegged above my hook, but no success. I'll pick up some pink rubber worms for the next time out, thanks for the tips!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Now is the time, to hit it. As the steel, and bluebacks, are running.