Pink worm for steelhead drifting

W
whammond
Lately I have been experimenting with drifting a pink worm for steelhead, with out any luck so far. So I was curious to see how some of you OFFers rig up a pink worm for the steelhead drift fishing? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

D
dtikey
I have been using pink worms for a few years now and didn't have any confadince in them to start till I seen plum to fish get fish on them.He rigs his up with a needle on his leader and runs it through the worm then down his leader where a bear stops it from going down the hook.I find it easier to run a #1 hook and just thread my worm up the hook and have it lay straight with the shank and about 1/4 inch below hook for action.I use the mad river 3 inch worms and have had great success with them.I also run a corky above my worm and I also use scent on them.I have seen both work but feel my way is easier if you dont want to re-tie your leader everytime your worm rips weather it be from snagg or fish.

M
meluvtrout
I usually pre-tie 12-15 before heading out.
- I use Berkeley 4" bubble gums.
-Start with a 3' leader (as you will lose some after threading and knot),
-First tie an egg loop knot( I usually use size 2 or 4 owner super needle points),
-Egg loop is in case you need to add yarn,
-Slide a size 4 bead(red, orange or white worked for me),
-Use a needle and thread your worm to your leader, starting about an inch above the tail and get the needle out from the head( this is the part you need to be careful not to break the worm with needle)

Good luck.

C_Run
C_Run
I know you said drift fishing but I have been trying them under a float instead of jigs this year. I've just been getting the Aerojig pink jig heads to match the worm color and hooking the worm near the head end and letting it dangle. I also use a half ounce banana weight to help get it down quick. I haven't been fishing too much but have hooked five this way so far and have lost very few rigs.

V
veilside180sx
Here's an interview with Rusty Bell of Westernfishingoperations.com that I filmed. He's one of the best worm fisherman I know...also happens to manufacture my favorite worms. It's long, but it's worth the time.

http://vimeo.com/35824761

D
dtikey
veilside180sx said:
Here's an interview with Rusty Bell of Westernfishingoperations.com that I filmed. He's one of the best worm fisherman I know...also happens to manufacture my favorite worms. It's long, but it's worth the time.

http://vimeo.com/35824761

That is a great video and I thank you for posting it.There was a great amout of info in there and very basic for all level of fishermen...again thank you

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. My bad. Sorry Whammond. You did say drifting and not floating.