Jumpin jack flash.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
it's just a shiny coho jack, 17", but that smile is all about how tasty these fish are...

It was holding in the reeds behind me, at the edge of the lake. Just short of those reeds I dropped a 1/2oz orange body-gold blade spinner in late afternoon mixed light conditions, 18" deep there, quickly got it turning, 2', 3', explosion of chrome at the surface, quick fight and netting... delicious dinner

cheers, roger

• photo30838.jpg
Reactions: killigan and Admin
D
Dustin0718
Ill take a wild guess with assuming this was at Siltcoos as opposed to Tahkenitch? nice jack!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Dustin0718;n599578 said:
Ill take a wild guess with assuming this was at Siltcoos as opposed to Tahkenitch? nice jack!

ding ding ding

hobster
hobster
Yum, jacks are the best!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Very good chance I will be trolling there tomorrow on my day OFF!

B
bubs
Sounds like it was pretending to be a bass. Tasty!

G
getsdwyz
No Title

Roger nice catch . here is the first one of the year out of my boat my buddy Marvin caught it trolling on Sunday . 19in Jack

troutdude
troutdude
Good work guys. Great table fare, fo' sho'!

O
OnTheDrop
Yeah yeah yeah!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
today was real shiny...this 30" boy grabbed 5' of air right at hook-up...and then he got mad!

dX4Rt1J.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin, bd2cool and getsdwyz
hobster
hobster
It's a gas!

C_Run
C_Run
Nice one. Guess we chose the wrong end of the lake:sad:.

G
getsdwyz
Nice one Roger !!

B
billfisher
rogerdodger;n599610 said:
today was real shiny...this boy grabbed 5' of air right at hook-up...and then he got mad!

dX4Rt1J.jpg

Fun times...Nice one Roger!

Reactions: Admin
G
Gulfstream
Nice!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Friday was beautiful on Siltcoos, cloudy again but with occasional sun breaks. Hobster, Gulfstream and I hit that lake hard but the coho are spread out and not in any hurry to get caught. 2 Trooper boats out checking on things (which was great to see!); they confirmed almost no boats reported catching adults, just some jacks and SRC.
I did say 'almost'...:D

near shore at the edge of the reeds, 32" Siltcoos Brute that stopped my spinner in it's tracks about 4' from splashdown in less than 2' of water, I lay in with a big hook set, little head shake confirmed I had not hooked a log, then an explosion of white and silver, quick fight and some big thrashing activity by the boat then a textbook netting by Gulfstream.

This guy had been eating seriously good during his time in the ocean, flesh was deep dark orange, I think he could have played O-line for the Cougs! He's the last one I plan to retain this year, back to my kayak next week with some lil'cleo's and my coho surface poppers...

HcwI41L.jpg

and on the subject of spinners, this coho came on the exact same spinner that put 2 in the boat Wednesday and my jack on Tuesday, which elevates it to legendary status as the "Outrageous Orange Spinner"! (Note: the RoosterTail folks call it Fluorescent Red but I call it Orange).

DgEVi5R.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: killigan
hobster
hobster
What a hog it was, and tasty! Roger was kind enough to not only invite us on his boat but he gave Whip and I each a fillet from that brute. Thanks again for everything buddy!

Reactions: rogerdodger
K
killigan
Well done sir, you have that lake figured out! I have to ask, do you ever have success trolling spinners? Spent today trolling the lake and could only seem to bring to hand 2 SRC, have been thinking of trying the cast & retrieve method I see used around the lake next time I'm there. Cheers

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
killigan;n599694 said:
Well done sir, you have that lake figured out! I have to ask, do you ever have success trolling spinners? Spent today trolling the lake and could only seem to bring to hand 2 SRC, have been thinking of trying the cast & retrieve method I see used around the lake next time I'm there. Cheers

we catch them equally with both methods. for example, both big fish we put on the boat Wednesday came trolling at the top of Fiddle arm, the other 2 we saw caught were by a driftboat trolling, and for the hour we were up there, limiting out :D, the 6 or 7 boats we saw that were mostly casting did not hook any fish....other times you can troll off the west shore all day but hook nothing because the fresh fish, for some reason, are relaxing in the reeds. I like to mix it up and since the exact same gear and rigging is used for both methods, it is easy to do both...cheers, roger

Last edited:
G
getsdwyz
caught two on Saturday 19incher and a 20

Reactions: killigan