New to Oregon where to start???

Admin
Admin
Alsea River is one of the hottest in Oregon for winter steelhead, as far as I know. Silver Blue Fox (number 5) with a blue body worked the best for me there.
Catch a big one! )

D
DrTheopolis
pinstriper;n598910 said:
4) NW Steelheaders

Maybe the best advice yet. It's mostly old codgers, but they'll welcome you with open arms, and do their best to increase your learning curve. And you don't have to be a member to attend the meetings.

If you make frequent trips to Sandy for family, learn that river. There probably isn't a better year-round stream to be found anywhere. Other rivers may have much better months, but for consistency, the Sandy is king.

The Valley streams (Santiams, Mac, etc) don't have a whole ton going on in fall, and would be a tough place to learn. But they certainly have their seasons, and being in Salem, you should learn the Santiams -- just not right now, to start.

troutdude
troutdude
Out of yesterday's Weekly Recreation Report, from ODFW:

Coho are moving into the lower Clackamas and Sandy rivers, with some reports of catches in the lower reaches.

Steelhead fishing has been fair to good, on the South Santiam River.

B
burlafisherman
0972a8784bb5f161a6cf6c43117d836f.png

Hello guys. I don't know if the pic has posted, but is this the book? I have lots to learn as well about fishing ? :p [video]http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57f1c72f2197e/20161002_193650.png?[/video]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

T
Tsisley
Ok so I finally have a day off off work Thursday and I think I will head twards the coast. I've been reading a ton but have a few questions for you guys. Any suggestions on line? I was thinking about 15-20# braid and a fluorocarbon leader. Is that going to be enough strength wise? Also why do I see so many people with bright colored braid in videos? Also bait and lures will I be ok throwing spinners and spoons seeing as I don't have roe or is it worth buying the stuff they sell at the store for a float rig? All suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I typically use 20 lb. main line on my poles. I have two that I use on a regular basis. 1 is set up for trolling, a big Penn star reel which I run monofilament on. The other I use for bank or drift fishing, and I am constantly casting with it. That one I typically try and use a braided mainline that will float on top of the water. That way I can "mend" the line around leaves and sticks if I have to....some of the coastal rivers will have a lot of debris floating around in them. Personally I have not really found any hindrance with the bright colored lines you have mentioned, as long as the water is not low and clear. As far as spinners or spoons vs. drifting eggs, it depends on how much you want to move. I have had good luck with either. Lures seem to work pretty well as long as the water you are fishing isn't muddy or really dark. The store bought eggs will produce just fine, though I do prefer my own home cured eggs more. If you are fishing a deep hole, I tend to prefer eggs under a bobber on a moving float. It seems like I can fish a lot deeper more consistently than I can with lures. However, if the eggs aren't producing then don't be afraid to switch. If you are seeing salmon roll all around and nothing is happening with the eggs then switch to a spinner.

D
Dustin0718
I'd suggest the Big Elk creek, which dumps into the Yaquina. After the rains through wednesday i'm sure i nice pulse of chinook will be headed up there. If your will to drive the extra hour from there, the siuslaw in florence above tide water should also be getting a pulse as well, which is where ill be spending my thursday more than likely. Good luck where ever you end up!

T
Tsisley
Dustin0718;n599148 said:
I'd suggest the Big Elk creek, which dumps into the Yaquina. After the rains through wednesday i'm sure i nice pulse of chinook will be headed up there. If your will to drive the extra hour from there, the siuslaw in florence above tide water should also be getting a pulse as well, which is where ill be spending my thursday more than likely. Good luck where ever you end up!

I was thinking somewhere near Lincoln city just for the sheer fact that I know where it is and it only seems to be 45min from my house but I will definantly keep that in mind

P
pinstriper
Tsisley;n599127 said:
Ok so I finally have a day off off work Thursday and I think I will head twards the coast. I've been reading a ton but have a few questions for you guys. Any suggestions on line? I was thinking about 15-20# braid and a fluorocarbon leader. Is that going to be enough strength wise? Also why do I see so many people with bright colored braid in videos? Also bait and lures will I be ok throwing spinners and spoons seeing as I don't have roe or is it worth buying the stuff they sell at the store for a float rig? All suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated

20# braid is kinda thin. Thin enough to cut through your fingers like a hot wire through cheese if it's tight and running and you crook a finger on it.

It's not about the strength, it's about diameter. With braid, you're gonna overkill the living...eh...daylights...out of strength. Then it comes down to weight and flexibility for mending, and diameter for easy knots to a 12-15# mono leader. And yeah, there are knots that will claim to be great for lines of different diameter, but I tie my bumpers/leaders to the mainline with either a FG knot or a uni-uni knot. Problem solved, doubly.

Look at it this way, going to 30# braid over 20# doesn't really cost you anything and allows you to NOT get cut, lasts longer, and also gives you the ability to haul HARD and land a fish more quickly, something that really matters if it turns out to be a native you want to release without it being exhausted, especially if there are furbags around, improving its survival.

I also found 20# braid so thin that it was hard to tie a bobber stop knot that wouldn't be small enough to pass through the hole on most beads.

Bright color is important in helping you know where the line is so you can mend it, or to help the other guy in the boat see where you are fighting your fish and get his line away from you instead of letting the fish tie you up and break off, Dana. Wait. Sorry.

If you don't want to run bait but still want to bobber fish, try jig under bobber, much the same technique.

T
Tsisley
One thing that came to mind today is that I would like to fish barbless although it may not be required just for the sake of the fish I don't mind losing a fish here and there if it means less harm to natural fish would you guys advise against this?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Personally I look at barbless hooks like I do light tackle fishing. It adds another challenge to the game and forces you to handle yourself, and the fish, differently. I haven't found that barbs do any more or less damage to the fish then barbless. It will be a little easier to get yourself un-snagged if you go barbless. If you would like the extra challenge in chasing an already challenging, albeit amazing, fish then by all means. I would suggest bringing a couple with barbs along with you in case you change your mind though.

Reactions: Dustin0718
D
Dustin0718
I agree with TheKnigit.
It would be a shame if you lost a beautiful 30# class chrome king because of a barbless hook. I would sure be kicking myself for that. It does make for a greater challenge, and yes would possibly save from tearing up part of a salmons/ steelhead lips. Unless your catching and releasing, i'd advise against it.