Wild coho season!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Not lookin good this year for the coastal rivers!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Is there a report from somewhere that I missed?

K
Kardoctor
was out at buoy 10 yesterday and only 5 out of 200 people came home with 1 fish they say 2 weeks till they show up water temp was 66 degres

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
No wild Coho season in coastal bays and estuaries this fall due to weak run

August 2, 2016

SALEM, Ore.—As a precautionary measure, ODFW will not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho this fall due to concerns over poor ocean survival and adequate spawning escapement to coastal rivers this year.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission was scheduled to consider a limited fishery in the Coos, Coquille and Umpqua rivers and Tenmile Lake at its meeting in Salem this Friday, but ODFW has decided to not move forward with the proposal.

“ODFW had already decided earlier this year to not propose coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho on the north and central coast,” said ODFW Ocean Salmon Technical Resources Manager Christine Mallette. “Today’s decision to also not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries in the SW Zone is responsive to concerns that the wild Coho run may be lower than anticipated.”

Wild Coho seasons in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes as well as federally authorized ocean fisheries are not impacted by this decision.

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
Do any of the coastal rivers have hatchery coho?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I just got this infor in my ODFW Daily Digest Bulletin this morning;
[h=2][FONT=&quot]No wild Coho season in coastal bays and estuaries this fall due to weak run[/FONT][/h]
[FONT=&quot]August 2, 2016[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SALEM, Ore.—[/FONT][FONT=&quot]As a precautionary measure, ODFW will not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho this fall due to concerns over poor ocean survival and adequate spawning escapement to coastal rivers this year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Fish and Wildlife Commission was scheduled to consider a limited fishery in the Coos, Coquille and Umpqua rivers and Tenmile Lake at its meeting in Salem this Friday, but ODFW has decided to not move forward with the proposal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“ODFW had already decided earlier this year to not propose coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho on the north and central coast,” said ODFW Ocean Salmon Technical Resources Manager Christine Mallette. “Today’s decision to also not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries in the SW Zone is responsive to concerns that the wild Coho run may be lower than anticipated.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wild Coho seasons in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes as well as federally authorized ocean fisheries are not impacted by this decision.[/FONT]

B
BaldTexan
C_Run;n597648 said:

Per ODFW, these rivers get hatchery Coho - Trask, North Nehalem, Big Creek, Klaskanine, Youngs Bay, Rogue, South Umpqua.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
C_Run;n597648 said:
I know the Coos, Coquille, and Umpqua do. I think the Tenmile Lake system does but I am not sure. I know they do for steelhead on Eel Creek. I haven't the foggiest idea for Siltcoos or Tahkenitch.

Artwo
Artwo
No wild coho season this year it appears..............

No wild Coho season in coastal bays and estuaries this fall due to weak run

August 2, 2016

SALEM, Ore.—As a precautionary measure, ODFW will not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho this fall due to concerns over poor ocean survival and adequate spawning escapement to coastal rivers this year.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission was scheduled to consider a limited fishery in the Coos, Coquille and Umpqua rivers and Tenmile Lake at its meeting in Salem this Friday, but ODFW has decided to not move forward with the proposal.

“ODFW had already decided earlier this year to not propose coastal freshwater fisheries on wild Coho on the north and central coast,” said ODFW Ocean Salmon Technical Resources Manager Christine Mallette. “Today’s decision to also not propose any coastal freshwater fisheries in the SW Zone is responsive to concerns that the wild Coho run may be lower than anticipated.”

Wild Coho seasons in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes as well as federally authorized ocean fisheries are not impacted by this decision.

###

Christine Mallette
Ocean Salmon and Columbia River Program
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife