Ocean/lower bay rod selection for downrigger

B
Billamicasr
I'm new to salmon trolling in the ocean and lower bay.
I'm pretty much set using a lead ball dropper, but have never used a down-rigger. I'm guessing the down-rigger rod will have a much lighter tip than my river/drift fishing salmon rod.
I'll be using plug cut Herring and Big Al's flasher or possible lure combinations, nothing too heavy. I have an Abu Gargia 6500c which I'll likely use with 50# braid.

What would be the rods of choice in the $100 to $300.00 range? Most I see are probably 8-9' with a flexible tip section, but I've not yet begun to shop.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
our tidewater salmon catching is done using cannonball drop sinker in the 4oz to 6oz range, depth in the 20' to 30', and we have found that MH (8-12# line) rods that are 7' long work great but our 16' PB is low to the water, as are my kayaks, so I could see going a bit longer for a boat with more freeboard and if you will be using more weight, perhaps a rod with say 10-20# line recommendation.

I don't think it is necessary to have special rods for down-rigger use, all of the good graphite blanks (IM-7 and better...) have strong backbones but lively flexible tips...cheers, roger

Reactions: bd2cool
B
Billamicasr
I was at the jaws a gfew days ago on the Umpqua and watch several boats using flashers behind divers (Pink Lady) or using their down-rigger. Charting the area I see it is right at 30' deep for a very long distance. They were making the rounds from about 1/4 mile inside the bay to 1/4 mile outside the gate, trolling at a pretty slow speed. Seeing those boats later as they came in I saw the diver, 8" flashers with a 6' leader then another 6' leader to the bait hooks. It appears most of the rods were in the 9' range but I didn't take the time to chat up with any of the returning boats except to ask if they did good.

As mentioned I'm good using lead ball dropper just as rodgerdodger explained. I've fished that rig in lots of variations in the bay and upriver, but never used a depth-sounder while trolling in the salt for Chinook or Silvers. I'm also good on 7-71/2' rods from my kayak and pontoon fishing.
Last I set up a 7' rod test rig as the ones I've seen it would be ungainly at best for that short boat rod; making it difficult to net a fish with the hardware being used and the distances from first swivel to hooks.

Any hot tip on the set-up to be used outside the gate? Trolling for salmon with flasher and down-rigger or diver.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we run our flasher about 2' back from the spreader/drop sinker, and then the bait is 3' to 4' back from there, so our total rigging length is like 7' and the first thing on the line is a red bead that can be reeled right to the rod tip without any concern about it catching in the tip if the fish runs again... standing up on a boat with a 7' - 7.5' rod makes for easy netting as you can pull the nose of the fish to the net without having to stand on the other side of the boat...

Chromatose
Chromatose
Bill, have you looked into Leadcore line? Keep the rods you have, but buy bigger reels and your running down the slot no problem and no riggers. Just a thought.

B
Billamicasr
Spent a few hours playing with Google & YouTube to get ideas.
I'm not in much of a hurry as there are small craft advisories keeping us from going off shore for a few more days.
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll process this and come up with a plan pretty soon.

B
Billamicasr
After much research with lots of questions and answers I've found the best (most expensive) rods for what I want to do are made by Loomis. There are two rods of interest I've posted a photo cut from the Loomis website with the description of each; hope the photos come out okay. The reason for the rod description is to give those interested the alternative to feel the Loomis rod at their local tackle store and then make comparisons with other brands if the "high dollar" rods are not in the budget.

Now that I've said Loomis is the best, they are not what I bought... I opted for the Berkley Buzz Ramsey series of trolling/mooching rods. BiMart has them at $89.00 with a limited selection so I bought the 10'6" Heavy Herring model thinking it would do well for float fishing as well as trolling with lead or flashers. Only tried it once for less than an hour, without success, but with the added length and numerous guides even with a 6oz. cannon ball or a Delta Diver, the line is well contained in the guides while the rod makes an excellent looking bend.

I was at Cabelas in Springfield this morning picking up the recommended "perfect" reel for the set up which is the Shimano Takoda 500LC (with line counter). While there I picked up the Buzz Ramsey 9 foot Herring rod which was $10.00 higher than Bi-Mart. I'll spool up with a few yards of 25 pound mono then finish the spool with 50 pound braid.

Tomorrow we are trolling Herring probably in the Umpqua River in front of Gardiner. Fishing is slow... very slow, but never know what may happen.

B
Billamicasr
No Title

So... forgot the photos. Senior moment

• photo30573.jpg
  • photo30574.jpg
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Berkely Air Rods are a great Rod for the money