Columbia question

D
DrTheopolis
Anyone fishing the C lately? My question is whether there's enough current on the incoming tide (Troutdale area) to anchor up with plugs/spinners?

Making my first Columbia outing of the year tomorrow.

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis;n596341 said:
Anyone fishing the C lately? My question is whether there's enough current on the incoming tide (Troutdale area) to anchor up with plugs/spinners?

Making my first Columbia outing of the year tomorrow.

No advice for ya, but good luck, DD!

D
DrTheopolis
While cleaning and sharpening hooks, I just discovered my favorite Maglip 4.5 has a crack in the bill. I'll fish it anyway, since it's been a straight up killer in recent years (even caught a giant SRC on it in a coastal bay). If not, I guess a K15 it is, since I don't have a lot in the way of large plugs.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Probably safest to troll the incoming and sit on the hook during the outgoing. With more water through the dam in our future however, you may be able to sit on the hook all day if you so choose. Watch river flow and give it a shot. I think flow will be increasing soon! All my efforts have been trolling for the most part and I was fishing for springers. Have not fished "Summer" run yet. Good luck. I hear fishing has been very good in the usual spots so far! Please report back. Im still at a big Zero for the season.....

D
DrTheopolis
Ended up 0/1, on a red spinner. Barbless hooks are a hoot. During the peak of incoming, we needed to pick spots where there was current, but it wasn't too bad.

My buddy's boat isn't the greatest for trolling, but can be done with the socks out (a trolling plate might be in its future).

Might go again in the next few days.

D
DrTheopolis
I've been out a couple of times since my last post in this thread.

The weeds aren't nearly as bad, and much better on the Washington side (I have no idea why that is, but it seems to be a universal theme there). While the weed situation has improved, the fish counts have dropped dramatically, which is perfectly normal for this time of year. Traditionally, they start picking up over the next 3-4 weeks.

We've gotten takedowns every time out (over the last few years, actually), on spinners and wobblers. But alas, not one has made it to the boat (loving the barbless). Tries setting the hook ASAP, tried leaving the rod in the holder until line was ripping, tried tossing the anchor, tried staying on anchor and buckling down... and none of it has worked, which has kind of been a bummer.

But, it's been nice overcast days (I love hot weather, but in a bot with no top, sunny days tend to cook the crew), and anchoring on the Columbia is easy, lazy, relaxing, beer-swilling fishing. There's a definite learning curve (what type of fishing doesn't have a learning curve?), but when the Fall fish start pouring in after a few weeks, hopefully it's game on, and I'll be giddy with success..