Springers at Bonneville Dam

F
Fishpdx
Okay so tomorrow I want to try out shad fishing and springer fishing at Bonneville, But the problem is I only fished there once for shad with no luck and have no idea where I can fish and what place would be best, I'm a bank fisherman and fishing the oregon side. I heard it's 1 springer per day but are summer steelhead also 1 per day. Anyone have a map of what places to try? and would 8 oz be enough for plunking? I'm thinking of plunking spin n glow with shrimp. a couple days ago my friend went and limited out springers 4 for 4 people but he was in a boat.

B
Big3d
There is a small slice of beach off the ainsworth park exit a little past the fishery. You might be challenged the hit the shad there, but it is probably a good bet for springers. The water was high on wednesday when I was on a boat near there and bank was very limited. You need to go past the houses and hike across the tracks. Good luck.

B
Big3d
I would go 10 oz if you want to keep it down, 8s were moving a bit.

C_Run
C_Run
As far a shad fishing goes, we toured the Bonneville Dam last Friday and they were having tens of thousands up the fish ladder per day then. We watched the people fishing from the bank on Bradford Island which is through the gate and in the middle of the river at the dam. ( They ask about your weapons when you enter and check your car.) They were catching lots that day and it looked like maybe an ounce or so of lead and then a couple feet of leader to small colorful lures, jigs maybe? I couldn't tell but they were reeling in one after another a week ago right at the dam.

R
rippin fish lips
C_Run said:
As far a shad fishing goes, we toured the Bonneville Dam last Friday and they were having tens of thousands up the fish ladder per day then. We watched the people fishing from the bank on Bradford Island which is through the gate and in the middle of the river at the dam. ( They ask about your weapons when you enter and check your car.) They were catching lots that day and it looked like maybe an ounce or so of lead and then a couple feet of leader to small colorful lures, jigs maybe? I couldn't tell but they were reeling in one after another a week ago right at the dam.

Shad darts and shad jigs with little grubs

F
Fishpdx
C_Run said:

Which side of bradford island were they fishing at? And the jigs are called shad darts

F
Fishpdx
Big3d said:
There is a small slice of beach off the ainsworth park exit a little past the fishery. You might be challenged the hit the shad there, but it is probably a good bet for springers. The water was high on wednesday when I was on a boat near there and bank was very limited. You need to go past the houses and hike across the tracks. Good luck.

I think i will stick with Bonneville and see if shad are biting if they are I will fish for a while and maybe try to plunk somewhere nearby.

C_Run
C_Run
Carp said:
Which side of bradford island were they fishing at? And the jigs are called shad darts

First drive across the fish ladder and bridge and there is a little parking lot and a restroom and then just go down the bank. It's well marked and you are right in the middle of the river.

F
Fishpdx
Well I over slept and didn't go to Bonneville , but ended up going to clackamette park to try out shad. A few people there , 2 guys plunked from 4-7 and caught 7 shad. A couple other people caught a few . I didn't catch any shad but caught a big pikeminnow and 2 small smallies. My setup was a sliding 1 oz and about 18 inches 6lb and shad dart. and I just casted and retrieved. This other guy said that your supposed to drift fish it not reel it.

M
montym
Carp said:
.. My setup was a sliding 1 oz and about 18 inches 6lb and shad dart. and I just casted and retrieved. This other guy said that your supposed to drift fish it not reel it.

Try a longer leader, like 4 feet or so and let it drift just above the bottom. Might want to go lighter on the weight too. Go with slinky style weights, probably the best for not getting hung up but takes much longer to get down to the bottom.