Buzzbomb

K
Kage
Has anyone used these Buzzbomb lures for salmon or possibly steelhead? I was given one when I went to the NWSteelheaders meeting on the 1st. Seems like they work but I've never used them before so I'm just curious if anyone has info on how to they prefer to set it up and fish them.

D
DrTheopolis
Been many years for me, but they work best if you're directly over a hole (boat, bridge, etc). Drop it to the bottom, reel up a couple of cranks, then jig it up really hard, then it will flutter down.

M
Modest_Man
I've seen people use them to snag the crap out of fish when they are stacked up.

D
DrTheopolis
I was going to mention that they're a favorite of the foul-hooking crowd.

O
OnTheDrop
They can work really well for Salmon. Think of flashy colors. They hit it on the flutter. Takes a while to get the hang of the proper jig, but it can be deadly.

K
Kage
Well I don't want to get lumped into thst kinda crowd but it certainly seems to work. I'm gonna give it a shot this Friday, make some adjustments on rigging it up. Switch out the bumper that's provided with a small bead and maybe put on a bobber stop in case I get hung up on something.

S
Stonefish
Thousands of salmon have been caught off Puget Sound beaches using Buzz Bombs. They are very effective.
Lots of people use a mini hoochie skirt under the buzz Bomb. On odd years with big pink salmon runs, they are hard to find and sell out quickly.

A similar lure which is becoming just a popular as the Buzz Bomb is the Rotator. It has holographic tape on the side and is flatter and wider then a Buzz bomb.
People like to set them up with contrasting color combo, green Rotator / pink mini hoochie.
I'd never use either in a river, but know folks that do so successfully. Both are killer in the salt.
Here is what a Rotator looks like.
SF

s946942402896589850_p63_i1_w320.jpg

K
Kage
Didn't go out and try them out, damn raccoon came after my chickens so I spent the day getting my yard critter proofed while I regretfully find a new home for hens. Thanks for the info though, I'm eager to give them a shot.