Springers are in Eugene!

T
taconight2night
I scouted and found a deep spot a few mins from Eugene. I was the only soul in the area and got this guy on my first cast in the hole! 2/5 once gold Lil Cleo, sink to the bottom and a slow retrieve... POW!

Springer 1.jpg Springer 2.jpg Springer 3.jpg

K
killigan
I could not wait anymore as well. Went out the last two days, pole in hand doing some recon fishing. Nice catch, Great looking cuts!

1WYF100Z.jpg

T
taconight2night
Thanks! Have you had any luck? I'm always amazed at how well springers cut even when they have color to them.
killigan said:
I could not wait anymore as well. Went out the last two days, pole in hand doing some recon fishing. Nice catch, Great looking cuts!

B
billfisher
Good for you! That's some good looking meat.:thumb:

plumbertom
plumbertom
I went down to the river yesterday afternoon.
I tossed my float rig about a dozen times when my phone rang and I was called to the rescue of my daughter who had run out of gas.
(this happens about once a month)
I'm gonna try again today if I can find an unoccupied few feet of bank to cast from.

jamisonace
jamisonace
deleted double post

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
You were the only soul because we don't speak of such catches until mid June. That pic is actually from last year right?

Also, everyone knows the meat on these upriver springers is nasty. If you want good meat you have to fish tidewater.

troutdude
troutdude
taconight2night said:
I'm always amazed at how well springers cut even when they have color to them.

It's so dark that, I would've tossed it back into the drink. But you're right, it looks like the meat is fine!

T
taconight2night
jamisonace said:
You were the only soul because we don't speak of such catches until mid June. That pic is actually from last year right?

Also, everyone knows the meat on these upriver springers is nasty. If you want good meat you have to fish tidewater.

No no, this was yesterday afternoon lol. And you must be joking, this fish had excellent meat! Springers aren't at all like fall fish meaning that they excellent eating even when colored up. Trust me

Reactions: SailCat
T
taconight2night
troutdude said:
It's so dark that, I would've tossed it back into the drink. But you're right, it looks like the meat is fine!

You would have wasted an excellent eating fish. Springer's meat stays perfect even when a bit dark, unlike fall fish.

E
eugene1
taconight2night said:
No no, this was yesterday afternoon lol. And you must be joking, this fish had excellent meat! Springers aren't at all like fall fish meaning that they excellent eating even when colored up. Trust me

He jokes!

CONGRATS!!!

T
taconight2night
eugene1 said:
He jokes!

CONGRATS!!!

Lol I figured. Dang that fish tasted like butter :D

jamisonace
jamisonace
Somebody gets my dry sense of humor. But seriously, no more posts until mid June or better yet, July. :worthy:

That smile says it all though, doesn't it?

eugene1 said:
He jokes!

CONGRATS!!!

hobster
hobster
I gotcha Jamie.

Nice fish man way to go! I haven't been out for salmanoids since winter but soon. First cast and alone on the river, sounds about perfect!

hobster
hobster
I gotcha Jamie.

Nice fish man way to go! I haven't been out for salmanoids since winter but soon. First cast and alone on the river, sounds about perfect!

hobster
hobster
Sorry about the double post, new phone. Doh

jamisonace
jamisonace
I did the same thing, only different...I posted, it didn't show up, so I posted again. Then the first one showed up.

hobster said:
Sorry about the double post, new phone. Doh

K
Kardoctor
I want to fish in Eugene but don't know the waters or any one from there any one want to fish there be a guide let me know was thinking Saturday morning

hobster
hobster
I fish the Mac a lot and will help you out, I just don't do weekends, too crowded. PM me if you want and maybe we can work it out.

My computer crashed and I'm posting from my phone which I hate. Suck at it! Thus the double post

R
rippin fish lips
One thing I noticed about our fish this year both salmon/steelhead. They both have less fat content in them then the did the previous years which will mean less storage time and these fish are going to turn dark quicker along with the meat. Any springer caught in the month of MAY should be excellent table fair!