Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had it? Fishing line testing, discussion on changing lines, and a Hello Oregon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had it? Fishing line testing, discussion on changing lines, and a Hello Oregon!

Well I try and follow where my fishing line tests are getting posted. Santiam thread linked to my old tests. The newest tests I did were far and away more reliable. Since I'm now living in Oregon near Tillamook, I thought I should be nice and repost some bits of the testing (I promised another site I'd not repost the whole set of tests. Google up VHawk Ultimate Line Tests for the full write up).

T-2 Table of Lines Listed in order of Highest Average break strength.

Brand/Model For Dia between 0.010 to 0.0145 inches (8 to 10 pound tests)

.................................................. .................................Avg strength

P Line CXX extra strong, crystal clear .0145....................................22.8
    P Line CXX extra strong, Flor Green .0140......................................21.836
    Gamma Copolymer Competition Grade .013....................................18.249
    Trilene XT .0135............................................. .....................18.101
    Berkely Big Game Hi Test Electric Green .014..................................17.676
    Sufix Tritanium Plus 0.013............................................. ...........17.337
    Trilene Maxx .013.............................................. ...................16.832
    Makima Ultragreen 0.014............................................. ...........15.519
    Stren Extra Strength .012.............................................. .........15.25
    Yozuri Hybrid .0125............................................. ..................15.08
    Maxima Chameleon .014.............................................. ............15.019
    Sufix Seige .012.............................................. ....................14.744
    Izorline XXX Super Copolymer .012.............................................. 14.501
    Izorline Platinum .012.............................................. ...............14.357
    Sufix Elite .012.............................................. .....................14.182
    Stren Original .013.............................................. ..................13.943
    P Line Evolution .011.............................................. ...............13.912
    Big Game clear .012.............................................. ................13.776
    Stren Magnathin .011.............................................. ................13.149
    Stren Magnathin .011, reliability double check.................................13.139
    P Line CFX 100% Floro leader .012.............................................. .12.649
    P Line Floroclear Copolymer .012.............................................. ..12.618
    Cabela's Pro Line Low Vis Green .012...........................................12. 445
    Cajun Red .012.............................................. .......................12.107
    Maxima Ultragreen 8 pound, 0.012............................................. ..12.101
    Danielson Plus 7 .012.............................................. ...............11.699
    Maxima Chameleon 8 pound, 0 .012............................................11 .462
    Ande green .012.............................................. ......................11.142
    Seaguar Fluoro 100% leader .01............................................... .....9.888

The Really Important Results...Lines Rated By Tensile Strength

Brand/Model............................................. ...Avg K PSI breaking strength
    strength.......................................... .. 1,000 Lbs Sq Inch/dry
    P Line Evolution .11......................................146.3
    P Line CXX extra strong, Flor Green..................141.8
    Stren Magnathin .011....................................138.3
    Stren Magnathin .011, reliability double check....138.2
    P Line CXX extra strong, crystal clear .0145.......137.6
    Gamma Copolymer Competition Grade .013.........137.4
    Stren Extra Strength .....................................134.8
    Sufix Tritanium Plus 0.013...............................130.5
    Sufix Seige .012............................................13 0.3
    Izorline XXX Super Copolymer .012...................128.2
    Izorline Platinum .012.....................................126.9
    Trilene Maxx .013..........................................126. 8
    Trilene XT .0135...........................................12 6.4
    Seaguar Fluoro 100% leader .01.......................125.8
    Sufix Elite .012.............................................1 25.3
    Yozuri Hybrid .0125........................................123.0
    Big Game clear .012.......................................121.7
    Berkely Big Game Hi Test Electric Green .014......114.8
    P Line CFX 100% Floro leader .012....................111.8k
    P Line Floroclear Copolymer .012.......................111.5
    Cabela's Pro Line Low Vis Green .012.................110k
    Cajun Red .012.............................................. 107
    Maxima Ultragreen 8 pound, 0.012....................106.9k
    Stren Original .013........................................105k
    Danielson Plus 7 .012....................................103.4
    Maxima Chameleon 8 lb, 0 .012.......................101.3
    Makima Ultragreen 0.014..............................100k
    Ande green .012..........................................98.5
    Maxima Chameleon .014..............................97.5

Using PSI allows me to compare lines of unequal diameter. Merely putting 10Lb test UG again say, Sufix Elite 10 lb test would show UG to be stronger. However, UG is very much thicker than Sufix Elite in that same range. If you want a fair comparison than spool up with an equal diameter in the new line you want to trial out. Reminder! UG DOES NOT HAVE CORRECT DIA LISTED ON THEIR PRODUCT! Grab your micrometer and go measure yourself. BTW since Elite tests out at about 20% stronger than UG in the PSI tables, I'd expect it to break at about 18 pounds versus 15 pounds for UG when using Elite in the .014" diameter.

This is a whole new way of looking at fishing line, matching them by equal diameters. But it provides a consistent reliable means of comparing, as well as trialing out new products.

Some words about Fluoro:

The fluoro leaders tend to be 'brittle'. They don't stretch well. In very clear conditions they are believed to help deliver bites. However, either ease up your drags, go with a softer action rod, or just don't pair up fluoro with braid. Seaguar's 10lb test may not seem to be the strongest, however it is a great product. Make sure you are using it in a diameter that you have expeirence with. Typically Seguar's lines are very thin for the marketed/labeled test strength. They break very very close to what's on the label. Super consistent breaking strength.Realize that .010 diameter line loses a lot of material in cross section, so to compare Seaguar 10 pound test fluoro to say Maxima Chameleon 10 lb test is hugely unfair. Similiar thickness Seaguar would be expected to break at about 17 to 18 pounds in .014 dia, while Max Cham would break at 11.4 lbs.

Recommendations? P Line CXX for your level winds. It's too stiff for spinning reels. For spinning reels the Sufix brand is good, P Line also has new softer lines that are good. The Stren Magnathin is not a bad line at all either for spinning reels.

Toughness....

For drift fishers, you want a line that'll hold it's strength even after you've hung up, pulled hard on 25ft of line you had out, cut off that last 2 ft that's abraded and retied. Most discount lines lose 25 to 30 % of their original strength after they've been pulled hard enough to break off a snag up. The best lines in the PSI testing also tend to hold up well in retained strength. Worst line for retained strength? Max Chameleon. Once you've pull hard on it, it stretches out, remains deformed, and loses a huge amount of strength in whats left. The stuff is thick, looks like wire cord, is as strong as taffy, and is probably worse than that baby blue danielson 7 discount fishing line, and costs as much as the best lines out there. Just the facts...

If you want to discuss more, are near Tillamook, and have an open seat, I'll gladly discuss in person I think I'm going to call the area home. Smells like cowbutt, but salmon rivers everywhere, crab, shellfish, elk, clams...everything 10 to 20 minutes away. I love this place.

vhawk29@hotmail.com

very nice and helpful piece of data you have there. thanks for sharing :clap: welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thanks for all the work .

Comment

That's a really great first post. Thanks for sharing your results. It looks like you've been at it for quite a while.

Also...welcome to Cowbuttsville, to Oregon and to OFF.

Comment

Welcome VHawk. I actually just brought up your old post on another site the other day.
          Rogue, Umpqua, and Chetco Guided Trips: S.O. Chrome Guide Service

The latest updated fishing reports for Southern Oregon including the Rogue, Umpqua, and Chetco Rivers - http://southernoregonfishingreports.com/

"God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish I catch, the courage not to lie about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyways."

Comment

Just saw this post! This is some really great info! Thanks!!!

Comment

holy thread revival... :-) couldnt help myself

Comment

Soooo Goood! Thanks for sharingg

Comment

I love data. thanks for the great post.

Comment

Originally posted by Vhawk View Post
                    Maxima Ultragreen 8 pound, 0.012............................................. ..12.101

The Really Important Results...Lines Rated By Tensile Strength
                    Brand/Model............................................. ...Avg K PSI breaking strength
                    strength.......................................... .. 1,000 Lbs Sq Inch/dry
                    P Line Evolution .11......................................146.3
                    P Line CXX extra strong, Flor Green..................141.8
                    Stren Magnathin .011....................................138.3
                    Stren Magnathin .011, reliability double check....138.2
                    P Line CXX extra strong, crystal clear .0145.......137.6
                    Gamma Copolymer Competition Grade .013.........137.4
                    Stren Extra Strength .....................................134.8
                    Sufix Tritanium Plus 0.013...............................130.5
                    Sufix Seige .012............................................13 0.3
                    Izorline XXX Super Copolymer .012...................128.2
                    Izorline Platinum .012.....................................126.9
                    Trilene Maxx .013..........................................126. 8
                    Trilene XT .0135...........................................12 6.4
                    Seaguar Fluoro 100% leader .01.......................125.8
                    Sufix Elite .012.............................................1 25.3
                    Yozuri Hybrid .0125........................................123.0
                    Big Game clear .012.......................................121.7
                    Berkely Big Game Hi Test Electric Green .014......114.8
                    P Line CFX 100% Floro leader .012....................111.8k
                    P Line Floroclear Copolymer .012.......................111.5
                    Cabela's Pro Line Low Vis Green .012.................110k
                    Cajun Red .012.............................................. 107
                    Maxima Ultragreen 8 pound, 0.012....................106.9k
                    Stren Original .013........................................105k
                    Danielson Plus 7 .012....................................103.4
                    Maxima Chameleon 8 lb, 0 .012.......................101.3
                    Makima Ultragreen 0.014..............................100k
                    Ande green .012..........................................98.5
                    Maxima Chameleon .014..............................97.5
                    re-post: finally found my micrometer and just measured the UG 8# that I have and actual diameter is 12mils, not 10mils as stated on the spool....

cheers, roger
                    Last edited by rogerdodger; 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM. Reason: corrected post to match reality....

Comment

I always compare lines by diameter once I realized that some just feel thicker compared to others.

Vhawk did raise an interesting point that some manufacturers may understate the diameter on package to make the product look better. I haven't thought of that possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ORTC View Post
                        Vhawk did raise an interesting point that some manufacturers may understate the diameter on package to make the product look better. I haven't thought of that possibility.
                        ah ha, that is it, I missed the comment on "UG" in my read of the first post...Vhawk is using actual measured diameter...."never mind"...

Comment

now this is an old post but i figure bringing it back to the top of salmon fishing right before the springer season begins isnt a bad idea ........

has this ever been re-done recently with any new "advanced" lines that have been brought out????
                          *there is a fine line between fishing on the bank, and looking like a complete idiot*

Don't call a 12lb steelhead 20lbs

Comment

has this ever been re-done recently with any new "advanced" lines that have been brought out????[/QUOTE]

Thanx for reposting this thread, very helpful as I always get confused when new products show up on the rack...but I had the same question as Tacoma.
                            Saying " I have to go to the bank " is not lying....

Comment

Working...
                            X