Salmon Drifting Setup

R
River
Hi All. Really enjoy the information to be found here.

I am more familiar with drifting for steelhead. Am setting up a bank&wading drift rod/setup for Salmon and have questions. This is on a 8 1/2' lami rod rated 12-25# with an Abu 6501 reel. I have 17# PLine CXX on as a mainline currently.

1)What size leader/line brand would you use?
2)Drift rig: what size corkies/cheaters/spin&glos/ along with hook size would you use for Salmon?
3)Do Salmon like pink worms or spinners that much?
Thanks to all.

M
metalfisher76
Well we just found out that some salmon like pink worms. I still don`t think I`d target salmon with `em. Spinners? O ya! Leader material and rigs will vary greatly depending on what type of water you`ll be fishin. With spinners you can go as big as 20lb leader, maybe bigger but I don`t. When I`m drifting I`ll size down a ways to 12-15, water clarity, size of stream and where the fish can run will determine this. Don`t use corkies myself so IDK.

R
River
Thanks for the info Metalfisher!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Dont forget lures like brads wigglers - especially for coho. If you're boating it - kwickfish wrapped with sardines or herring (I've even heard of folks using bacon) are good. Bobber & eggs is good too, or eggs & shrimp.

T
the salmon kid
well if you are drift fishing i supose you will probably be using the douoble hook rig with some roe and a med to small spin n glo,., i have caught the bulk of my fish on that rig and it is pretty simple to use,.,. OR,., if you want to have a bunch of fun and one hell of a fight get your self a heavy dudy fly pole with a good reel and use leach pattern flys for the salmon and they will just eat it up man,. me and a buddy went fly fishing for salmon one day and usina a black bunny moal we hooked, landed and relesed 28 chinook in one day on the fly poles,., and believe me your arm will get tired,. good luck man and here is a pic of the fly and the rig just incase you want to try it out
also a pic of the results :D

• bunny leack.jpg
  • leech.jpg
  • 090626fish320.jpg
  • 090624fish_eggs470.jpg
S
skunk
the salmon kid said:
well if you are drift fishing i supose you will probably be using the douoble hook rig with some roe and a med to small spin n glo,., i have caught the bulk of my fish on that rig and it is pretty simple to use,.,. OR,., if you want to have a bunch of fun and one hell of a fight get your self a heavy dudy fly pole with a good reel and use leach pattern flys for the salmon and they will just eat it up man,. me and a buddy went fly fishing for salmon one day and usina a black bunny moal we hooked, landed and relesed 28 chinook in one day on the fly poles,., and believe me your arm will get tired,. good luck man and here is a pic of the fly and the rig just incase you want to try it out
also a pic of the results :D

Nice,thanks for this bit of info