Who fishes Fern Ridge?

plumbertom
plumbertom
It being a sad weather week for my small boat on the bays for crab, I'm thinking i might get in a quick trip to Fern Ridge seeing how it's only 7 miles from my house.
I'd like to target the crappie I'm told are there in abundance.
I have made a couple forays to fish along the dam with the only result being a few largemouth bass.
Any body got suggestions for me?
Best area to concentrate in?
What about baits?
I've always used small Crappie Killer crank baits to troll to locate fish on new water then switched to jigs once I find some fish.
Although I'm somewhat experienced at fishing slabs suggestions as to baits and technique can only help.

troutdude
troutdude
Back in the day, lots of peeps fished OFF the marina docks at night time. They are apparently attracted, to the dock lighting. And jiggin' for 'em, would fill their buckets. During the day, have you trolled past any brushy shorelines. That's where I used to find them, on the Long Tom. Where I didn't use anything, other than a bobber n' jig.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Thanks,
I'm gonna give that try this week I think. Launch at Perkins penn, park if it's open and work that area as well as I can.

Reactions: troutdude
W
Willerman
Let us know how you do, and if the bass are biting. I have been meaning to take a trip down there for largies this summer sometime.

plumbertom
plumbertom
There certainly seem to be a fair population of those bucket mouths even if they run a bit small. All of the ones I've caught there were only about 1 lb. or under.

troutdude
troutdude
plumbertom;n605878 said:
Launch at Perkins penn, park if it's open and work that area as well as I can.

That's the area that wasn't coming, to my mind earlier.

Reactions: plumbertom