More shad! 7.1.2017

I
iHuntiGather
Fishing for shad was a great experience in learning the ropes out here in the Pacific Northwest. I've done some drift fishing for trout on the North Platte in WY, but drifting in the Willamette was quite the learning curve. After getting some pointers and watching others it finally clicked and it was a blast. Planning to use them for upcoming crab and sturgeon trips. Pretty excited as I havent done either yet.

What else do you all use them for? I was thinking of using the cut tails under slip bobbers for Lings off of the jetty....thoughts? Hoping to get a full day on the Newport jetty soon.

Already looking forward to next year's shad run!

• photo31512.jpg
  • photo31511.jpg
Reactions: Admin
F
fish4life
they work great for crawdads as well.

B
bubs

:)

I
iHuntiGather
Sure thing Bubs, I'm in Newberg.

Maybe we can trade for some rockfish pointers from shore or some hunting info? Not necessary though, just like the age old concept of bartering which is becoming forgotten. Would love to help out!

I
iHuntiGather
They are frozen whole, and all I did was throw them in a gallon bag. I didn't do any vacuum sealing or special prep since I thought they'd just be used for bait.

M
montym
They are good eats too...

Reactions: iHuntiGather
I
iHuntiGather
I saw your post, wish I would've taken care of them a little more. Will have to eat some next year. How do you like to prepare them?

G
Gulfstream
They are great smoked or pickled.Just use a recipe for pickled herring.They are in the same family.I cut them in chunks prior to putting them in the brine.