Catfish and turtles

G
gfisher2003
my grandpa has a farm pond on his property that has some pretty big fish in it since no one else can fish there but it also has turtles and i saw my grandpa catch a two foot long catfish not sure what kind it broke the line right at the dock. and i really want to catch something like that next time i go to his house but there are giant turtles and most catfish bait turtles like as well (atleast the stuff ive tried) anyone have any ideas on what to use or how to fish and not catch a foot long snapping turtle or any other kind of turtle for that matter

troutdude
troutdude
At night; use rancid chicken liver parts OFF of the bottom. Use a bell on the tip of the rod, to notify you of a bite.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Small piece of mackerel with a a size 12 treble hook and a clear water filled bobber 2 feet above it!

G
gfisher2003
so try to keep it off the bottem basically but not to far off?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Forget that rancid Chicken Liver. That's just a lack of knowledge talking.
Fresh or fresh frozen chicken liver will do much better. In fact whatever bait you choose Fresh will always outperform old or rancid baits for catfish.
This is true as well for prepared (stink) baits. Fresh opened prepared bait is always better.
And the use of a float to keep the bait up off the bottom where turtles can't pin it down to eat it is a excellent technique.
Catfish live on the bottom but have no reservation about rising to the surface to feed. They are apex predators that often chase bait on the surface.
The important thing is to get a good scent into the water for them to find. Catfish are mainly scent hunters. That's why fresh is better.

G
gfisher2003
thanks, good to know