Pressured ponds

L
Luis Dominguez
I used to hate using senkos when I first started, now I'm thinking of selling all of my tackle and ONLY keep the senkos because of how killer they are in pressured ponds that I go to. Now the question is, I hear that topwater is killer in the early morning and late evenings, I was wondering if a topwater lure would work well in a pressured pond in early morning or late evening? Should I bother trying to wake up that early for a pressured pond? And If YES, oregon is pretty chilly in the mornings, does topwater work well in Oregon?

I
iHuntiGather
Topwater is one of the few ways to fool a large, smart bass. It has produced plenty of quality "last attempt" fish when I was getting skunked all day.

It requires patience, but is some of the most intense fishing. Most of your strikes happen when you let it sit for a few seconds after a few pops.

troutdude
troutdude
iHuntiGather;n605609 said:
Topwater is one of the few ways to fool a large, smart bass. It has produced plenty of quality "last attempt" fish when I was getting skunked all day.

It requires patience, but is some of the most intense fishing. Most of your strikes happen when you let it sit for a few seconds after a few pops.

Exactly what he said. I also let the plug sit, for a few seconds, after tossing it in. Wait for the ripples to fade, then bring it in. Also an occasional pause, twitch, pause method--is also deadly. Making the plug look like an easy meal, will get you aggressive smack downs! In other words vary the retrieve methods, until you find one that works.

L
Luis Dominguez
Thanks for the tips! Does topwater work well in oregon weather? Lol for example, tomorrow morning during sunrise is gonna be 54 degrees, so the water will be pretty cold, will they still be as active or lockjawed?

T
Throbbit _Shane
54 is the air temperature the water will be much warmer. As long as the sun isn't directly shining on the water they should hit on top. Iv fished top water all day on the Umpqua when the weather is overcast or if there's lots of smoke from forest fires.

Reactions: troutdude
L
Luis Dominguez
Throbbit _Shane;n605619 said:
54 is the air temperature the water will be much warmer. As long as the sun isn't directly shining on the water they should hit on top. Iv fished top water all day on the Umpqua when the weather is overcast or if there's lots of smoke from forest fires.

Nice! Thank you