All about the take!

T
TimberTodd
While fishing some structure in a cove at Hagg this morning (with zero luck) I had a fish start busting the surface just feet off the bank behind me. I maneuvered over and watched the area. Finally I saw the culprit, a nice smallie cruising this space. I tossed plugs and soft baits to no avail. I finally decided what the heck and broke out the 4wt. He followed the Carey Special for a few feet then swam off. I switched to a Stimulator and finally got a take that did not stick. Figuring I had stung him and my chances were over I focused on another area. After a few minutes he started busting the surface again. I switched to a size 8 bait fish pattern and on the 2 cast I watched him come up and inhale that fly (it was an awesome take). He put a serious bend in the 4 wt. and managed to spit the hook at the side of the yak. The only other fish today was a 14.25￾￾ smallie that took a dropshot presentation. Here￾fs to hoping everyone has a chance to wet a line this weekend.

W
Willerman
Sounds like a blast. I am taking the boat out to Hagg tomorrow in search of some bass as well. Hell, I might even throw in the fly rod too. Hope it's not too much of a zoo.

W
Willerman
Which reminds me... did you get the water temp?

T
TimberTodd
Didn't get the water temp. By 10:00 the boat traffic was getting heavy.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Water temp is just below 70. I was out yesterday, 5/28. I'm gonna do a write up sometime today. The largemouth are definitely fired up

hobster
hobster
Nice story, way to keep at it! Gotta love the take............ but don't forget the fight :thumb: