Carp on plastic bass worm, whaaaat???

Aervax
Aervax
Fishing for bass on the Columbia I am still having to work to scratch out a few fish. I went 0 for 3 in the first 2 hours, then 7/8 over the next 45 minutes. I changed locations to the back of a little cove where I went bite free for 30 minutes. Then while bouncing a 4" senko along the bottom it was hammered hard enough to almost tear the rod out of my hands. The fish was big and fought hard, lasting several minutes before getting a glimpse of it. It felt like a 10 pound bass, and the surface swirls it was making when turning and shooting toward the bottom were huge. It was a damn carp swimming around with my plastic bass worm stuck to its lip. It took another 5 minutes to wear it out and get it in hand. It was a nice fish, 7 to 10 pounds. I hooked another one a few minutes later that got off. I need to go back there with a fly rod to see if they are as crazy aggressive on them, too. Haha.

• photo31366.jpg
  • photo31367.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
Weird things can happen, in the fishing realm. Used to catch tons of 'em, on earth worms, in the Long Tom. Also nailed them, like crazy, on surface plugs fishing for smallies too!

F
Fishpdx
I've caught them on live crawfish and flies

troutdude
troutdude
Carp;n604512 said:
I've caught them on live crawfish and flies

Is it legal, to use live crawdads?

EOBOY
EOBOY
troutdude;n604513 said:

I don't think so, if you could use live bait I would use a live Frog:D

troutdude
troutdude
Just got home; and decided to check for myself. The 2017 ODFW Reg's clearly state--on pg. 16--that the use of live crawdads (crayfish)--is NOT legal. At least it looks pretty "black n' white", to me.

hobster
hobster
Very cool, it is always fun to hook into something unexpected. I'll bet that was a fun fight!

F
Fishpdx
troutdude;n604513 said:

It was in a Missouri in a lake where live crawfish was allowed

troutdude
troutdude
Oh. OK. Gotcha. My apology, for assuming it was in Oregon.