New resident of Dallas

W
Willerman
Recently moved to Dallas. Unfortunately there aren't as many fishing opportunities (that I have found) as there are in my old neck of the woods - Corvallis/Albany. Has anyone tried to wet a line at the Baskett Slough area? Particularly 'Morgan Lake'? Looks like a great pond on google maps, but don't know much past that. Another one I was curious about is Reimer Reservoir; I can usually tell by google maps if it is public or not, but this one is a little tougher. Figured I would ask here before going and knocking on a door. Aside from that, does anyone have any suggestions on some close-to-home bass fishing for me? I know a few spots in Monmouth/Independence, but would like something a little closer. I know about Turner Lake, but I believe you have to drop a pretty penny for the OFC. Thanks in advance!

troutdude
troutdude
Upper Rickreall Creek, has nice native cutties. It's a hike in situation. You have to park, by a gate and walk upstream. Do NOT drive a vehicle in their, even if the gate is open. You WILL be arrested for TRESSPASSING. The property owners are VERY adamant, about that. ABSOLUTE NO motor vehicles. Some dumb ass started a serious forest fire up there, a few decades ago. So you can only walk up, or ride a non-motorized bicycle.

And it is patrolled, by State Troopers & County Mounty's. I belive that it is also, a "no bait" stream. So flies and lures only (spinners, spoons, etc). If memory serves me, the gate is at the intersection of Martin Road & Rob Mill Road. You turn OFF of Ellendale Road, just before a bridge that crosses the creek.

Morgan Lake is not listed either in Fishing in Oregon, nor the Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon. That typically indicates that, the lake is private. So I'd encourage a door knock, or two, to get owner's permission.

There's a old mill reservoir, in Willamina, called Huddleston Pond. It's stocked w/ trout. But it's VERY weed. So trout fishing, is tricky at best. But, it probably holds bass too. The Yamhill River, incidentally, flows right past the pond. Maybe you can get permission, to fish the stream while your there--or instead of fishing the pond.

The Yamhill (main stem, north & south forks), are all worth a try for trout. And at Yamhill Locks Park in Lafayette / Dayton, you'll encounter multiple warmwater, and cold water species, including bass, cats, 'gills, crappie, bows, cuttties (some fat SRC's too), and even nooks! That would be, an easy day trip for you.

If you don't mind, or enjoy, Catch & Release only...try a bank or tube / toon trip to McGuire Reservoir. It's situated NE of McMinnville--and appears to be due west, of Carlton on the map. It's a water reservoir, operated by Washington Parks & Rec. So it is patrolled too.

Well that ought to, get you started. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troutski
B
bubs
Great response by troutdude..

I have family in Falls City right near Dallas, I can add that the (Little) Luckiamute system can be a fun time with flies for small trout. Don't even need a fly rod - just a small bubble float will do with the spinning rod.

Baskett Slough has some great hiking but I would guess there's no fishing there as it's a NWR...

Trout fishing in the upper Mary's maybe an option?

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks bubs . I do what I can.

troutdude
troutdude
W
Willerman
Sorry, have been busy the past few days. I fish for trout when the bass fishing gets crappy, so I will definitely be sure to check out those spots! I have been wanting to try the little luckiamute above the falls for a while now. Back in college we used to go swimming at the falls all the time, and I have always wanted to hike up further and swing a fly. Rickreall looks good too! I will definitely check them out when the weather continues to cool down. McGuire looks like a very pretty res. I grew up in the area and had no clue it was there. Thanks for the tips!

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude;n598604 said:
If you don't mind, or enjoy, Catch & Release only...try a bank or tube / toon trip to McGuire Reservoir. It's situated NE of McMinnville--and appears to be due west, of Carlton on the map. It's a water reservoir, operated by Washington Parks & Rec. So it is patrolled too.

Uh... no.

It's owned by the city of McMinnville, and is absolutely off limits to the public.

troutdude
troutdude
But County Parks & Rec, "operates" the lake. And what I said above, is what they told me last year on the phone. Maybe a second call, would be prudent however...for confirmation.

D
DrTheopolis
All I know is that when I drove by a few weeks ago, it was fenced OFF and posted ten ways til Sunday, like every other time I've driven past it.