Bass in McNary Lake on Sauvie Island?

portlandrain
portlandrain
I took my kayak out there this morning. I had never fished on the island before and had read on the ODFW site that there were bass in that particular lake. It was the first accessible place I found.

The water was pretty murky, only about a foot or so of visibility.
I tossed a couple different bright spinnerbaits with different blades, a little popper early on, some weightless senkos, but not even a bite. That place seems like a Mecca for bass, there's gotta be something in there, right?

Anyone ever caught bass there?

Thanks

C
cdat
There's bass in there, although it's probably a bit early for them,this time of year the crappie fishing is better in Mcnary. Might try the Gilbert River area, esp the area around the mouth. What kind of yak do you have?
If you can find it, this book "Fishing in Oregon" by Madelynne Sheehan, covers 99% of the fishing waters in this state.
John

portlandrain
portlandrain
I'll check for the book, thanks!

I need to get a thermometer I think... The water felt warm enough to the touch though. Warmer than Hagg and I've caught several there already this year.

I just have a very simple Kayak that I picked up at Dick's sporting goods. The couple hundred $$ variety. It's as basic as can be, but I had never even been in one until I bought it. I love it! All the nooks and crannies that I could see from shore are now at my finger tips. :thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
cdat said:
If you can find it, this book "Fishing in Oregon" by Madelynne Sheehan, covers 99% of the fishing waters in this state.

X 2. Look for the 11th edition, which is the newest version of Maddy's book.

B
Ballaholyk84
Picked the book up the other day based on this post. Tons of good info. Anyone been to McNary recently and had much luck? Was a though to try maybe in the morning but not if they are out and about yet.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Out of curiosity, did you go check this place out today? I haven't been back since I started this thread. Wondering if the bass are biting there now. I would think the water would be pretty warm by now.

B
Ballaholyk84
I didn't. My buddy went by there to check it out but didn't throw a line. Said it was pretty warm. Was just curious if it had turned around at all.