July in Newport

Irishrover
Irishrover
This is going to be a strange year. With razor clams shut down and a very poor out look for coho my wife and I decided to come back down to one of our old favorite places, Newport. The coho picture is the same here as it is elsewhere, but the bottom fishing is excellent, and the chances of a near shore halibut are fair. Perhaps too the tuna will cooperate and come in close. We have made a couple of trips already, one was out to find rock fish. That worked out well. The other was for near shore halibut and was a bust. Tomorrow it's crab and bottom fishing. Then the weather looks like it is turning ugly with 25 kt winds for Monday. We plan to be here for the month of July, then head back to the Columbia at Warrenton for the chinook. I need to get the camera out and take a few shots. Hope those coho do show up.

W
Wandering Blues
I'm waiting for the albacore to come in. When we were coming in from our Halibut trip, we heard radio chatter of chickens being caught north and south of us, but 35+ miles out.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
FYI- 'Basin Tackle Charleston' has been posting tuna updates on the FB page for boats fishing out of CoosBay...

Irishrover
Irishrover
The wind came in earlier than expected, blowing 20 kt right now. It was a short trip, out and back in. Plenty of this to do until the winds settles down in a few days.

Point those Tuna north for us would you.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Small craft advisory today 20 kt winds with gust to 25 kt. Big red flag flying at the Coast Guard Station. Looks like it will be a day tied to the dock. Hope this wind settles down although the high pressure is looking like it will hang out for a while. With low pressure over northern California and high pressure here that make for wind!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Finished the month of July in Newport. What a great place to fish the ocean from. Nice short run to the ocean and fishing areas. The wind can be tough and shut things down, but hey that's the coast for you. We landed lots of rock fish and lings, and did well on near shore halibut. This was the first year I've went to circle hooks for halibut. I think I'm sold on them. Salmon fishing was kind of on the back burner with the halibut doing well. We did have a couple of really good day on coho when they showed up. As always the pink hoochie worked well. Went from the diver to the hoochie no flasher at 16 pulls did the trick. Home for a while then down to Warrenton to fish for chinook and coho.

Reactions: wils