Jetty fish & crab handling

I
iHuntiGather
My screen name used to be LivinitupCO, but I finally moved to Oregon from Colorado so I figured I'd get a more fitting name...

Regardless, I am really excited to get some saltwater fishing done and I'm wondering how you all keep your catch fresh while fishing the jetty all day. I caught a decent ling off the Newport jetty a few years back and left shortly after so keeping the meat fresh was no issue. How do you guys do it?

I also picked up a few crab snares that I plan to use on the jetty and beaches. What's the best method for keeping the crab meat at a top notch quality from the time of catch to my drive back to the Newberg area?

Lastly, how do you guys keep your surf perch fresh while fishing out in the surf?

Thanks everyone for all of the previous responses to my past posts, I plan to contribute to the site now that I'm a soon to be resident.

P
pinstriper
For surf perch, I use a clam net hooked to my belt. Drop fish in, it stays wet in the surf because I'm knee deep. Some keep a 5 gallon bucket with seawater up on the beach but that keeps you from moving and I've had surf reach it and knock it over.

Then into a kill bag with a bag of ice for the trip home after cleaning, like all my fish. Crab you put in a bucket without water, and a wet burlap bag over the top. Again when its time to leave, clean them and pop 'em into the kill bag.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Trader Joes sells some great insulated shopping bags that make great kill bags, the red one is great for trout and there is a blue one for like $6.99 that will hold 32" fish easy. toss in a couple of frozen water bottles when you head out and you are good to go.

I
iHuntiGather
Thanks guys, great ideas. Roger, are the kill bags washable?

Still not sure how to hoof all my gear and hopefully fish and crabs around on the jetty. Will figure it out though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
(Untitled)

yes, I always rinse mine out.