Saturday 4/29 rockfish

F
Fishpdx
I went fishing to depoe bay yesterday thinking about catching a bunch of lingcods, the weather was great and surf was good too. I arrived around 9:15 and hooked into a small ling but lost it 2 hours later no luck, changed locations with no luck, switched to small curly tail grub and started nailing rockfish almost each cast for 5 mins, then they stopped biting , went back to a different spot and caught more rockfish, I fished these spots quit a lot and never seen this before , usually I would catch lingcods and greenlings and maybe once in a while hook into a rockfish. But yesterday It was opposite, only caught 1 greenling on a grub, hooked into 2 lings but both were undersized, and about 25 rockfish and they were all pretty good size, kept 6 rockfish+greenling . Overall it was a great day , I left my heavy rod and switched to medium-light rod with 8lb line, really fun fighting rockfish on light line. lost a couple big ones because they snapped my line when I would pick them up the rocks buts its okay!

• photo31322.png
  • photo31323.png
  • photo31324.png
Reactions: yuckfunky, TheKnigit and Admin
C_Run
C_Run
Sounds like a great day!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like the makings for some good fish and chips!

Y
yuckfunky
Your spot looks dry...and I'd really like to get my fiance' to actually catch some fish she hates snags and is really impatient. I can sit and wait for a bite to come and go while she reads or whatever ...then she'll join in (these are rare times). If possible could you share your spot? I'm not having a lot of luck at the jetties. Thanks in advance , by the way great fish.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Nice work! It's been a very very tough spring. Weather has not cooperated and the fish are not biting like last year. Hopefully the lings will start biting soon. I've caught 2 undersized and one nice keeper there this year is all for several trips

F
Fishpdx
yuckfunky;n604112 said:
Your spot looks dry...and I'd really like to get my fiance' to actually catch some fish she hates snags and is really impatient. I can sit and wait for a bite to come and go while she reads or whatever ...then she'll join in (these are rare times). If possible could you share your spot? I'm not having a lot of luck at the jetties. Thanks in advance , by the way great fish.

These fish are called RockFish for a reason, they live in and next to rocks, where i fish there is more snags than any jetty I went to , and I've had more luck at jetties with rockfish. So I would recommend you to try Surf perch fishing, hardly any snags because your fishing on sandy beaches.

F
Fishpdx
O. mykiss;n604229 said:
Nice work! It's been a very very tough spring. Weather has not cooperated and the fish are not biting like last year. Hopefully the lings will start biting soon. I've caught 2 undersized and one nice keeper there this year is all for several trips

This winter was tough everywhere