Mussel/goose barnacle trip

G
Gulfstream
After seeing a show with Andrew Zimmer about the popularity of Goose barnacles in Spain ,I decided to give it a go.Hit my spot this morning at low tide and got a dozen or so mussels and about 6 goose barnacles.Steamed them with a little Old Bay,lemon and garlic.They were very tasty.Sweet like crab ,but mussel texture.They are a pain to get off the rocks,but if you are out gathering mussels,grab a few and give em a try!.The present limit is 10 and you CAN use a pry bar,which you will need! Have Fun!:thumb: IMG_3935.JPG

Reactions: C_Run and EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
Far out! Pinstriper and I want to grab a few of those. Did not know about goose barnacles.

G
Gulfstream
After they come out ,pull the top off and there is a small piece of meat exposed .The skin is like a horseneck clam,and you can suck the meat out.It's quite tasty

Ikijime
Ikijime
Hey, cool! I'd try that. For mussels, do you need a minus low tide to access them, or just know the right area? I remembered that you commented about my earlier questions about mussels from the day that I camped out at Sunset Bay campground.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I haven't done it in over 30 years........whoa! Back then not many people went after them. Oh how things have changed. I've heard but don't know if true or not that you have to work a lot harder for them now. Low tide for sure and a tool!

Ikijime
Ikijime
That's weird that there's such a low limit, since I wouldn't think that anyone even hardly harvests the barnacles.

I think the limit for mussels was high because of that (was it 70? could you can them?). Mussels are popular in Asian countries, but nobody hardly eats them here. I've had them in restaurants where they were delicious.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Ikijime;n603477 said:
For mussels, do you need a minus low tide to access them, or just know the right area?

You definitely need a low tide, but not necessarily a minus one depending on the bed that you find. I have 3 beds that I will frequent for them in the Coos bay area and only 1 of them needs a good minus tide. I would plan on getting wet though. I have never come anywhere close to harvesting the limit. I typically only take enough for whatever meal the family is planning, which normally rounds out to about a dozen or so since the muscles are on the larger side. I have never used a tool to get them, just my hands to twist them off of the rocks and a bucket to put them in.

I have never tried to can them, but I am sure a guy could. I think I would be more inclined to try vacuum sealing them after letting them purge and cleaning them.

Reactions: Ikijime